Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

My Device: 9900
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Google Maps API

[ Edited ]

I get passed the loading of the map in a few seconds but nothing is ever displayed on the pb screen. Any ideas? This is the map code im using, might be missing something. Right from their sample app.

map.key = "my key";
			map.setSize(new Point(stage.stageWidth, stage.stageHeight));
			map.addEventListener(MapEvent.MAP_READY, onMapReady);

public function onMapReady(event:MapEvent):void {
			map.setCenter(new LatLng(40.736072,-73.992062), 14, MapType.NORMAL_MAP_TYPE);

Edit: ok i got it to do something. That something is an exception now. Anyone seen this error?

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
    at mx.styles:Smiley FrustratedtyleManager$/getStyleManager()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\styles\StyleManager.as:125]
    at mx.styles:Smiley FrustratedtyleProtoChain$/getStyleManager()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\styles\StyleProtoChain.as:970]
    at mx.styles:Smiley FrustratedtyleProtoChain$/initProtoChain()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\styles\StyleProtoChain.as:149]
    at mx.core::UIComponent/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::initProtoChain()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:10446]
    at mx.core::UIComponent/regenerateStyleCache()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:10509]
    at mx.core::UIComponent/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::addingChild()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:7213]
    at mx.core::UIComponent/addChild()[E:\dev\4.x\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:6910]
    at com.google.maps.wrappers:Smiley FrustratedpriteFactory/addChild()

Like all of my posts
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

At what line in the code are you getting this error?

It appears you are calling or using an MX control??

Setting a style somewhere??

Dont use UIComponent from MX, use the QNX UIComponent.

I have had no problems in getting GMaps to work in AIR and the simulator.

If you can share more (or create a smaller project where the maps is causing the problem), I might be able to help.

My Device: 9900
My Carrier: ATT

All I did was take the sample application and add the google maps code to it and get that exception. Ive moved to a mobile application in burrito instead of the actionscript app built around qnx components now and it works well with that, even if its slow to load.

Like all of my posts
My Device: PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: AT&T

I know this isn't exactly what you're asking, but just wanted to point out that MapQuest offers a Mobile Flash API and it is still under development (not deprecated, like GMaps).  They have a Developer Network website that goes into more detail about their APIs.

They also have a showcase/sample app that was built with Flash Builder 4.5.1 and deployed to iOS and Android, but it could also be deployed to the PlayBook.  There is more info about it here and they do have their source code available here.  

I hope this isn't too obnoxious, but I figured this would be a good "first post" to the forum, since I'm pretty new to the PlayBook, and this is actually something I know a little bit about! Smiley Happy