Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: HOWTO: Sign your Applications from CMD

Added a request to have multiple certificates on a single machine under the thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/RIM-Top-things-ISV-would-like-for...

New Developer
killerspaz
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Pointing out to someone the fallacy of their idea is "not kind?" I also didn't insult anyone; just stated his experience was obvious that he doesn't deal with clients on contracting gigs. Anyone who's in this industry knows that when you're contracted, it's for a reason.. If they knew how to sign a file, there's a good chance they also know how to develop. You wouldn't need to be hired if that were the case.

The point is, it's not a feasible concept to have a new computer for every project, and just as unfeasible for a VM. If I'm wanting to do everything legit, I'd need a new OS license for every project - that would be a quick deal-breaker for anyone wanting to hire someone for a smaller sized projec; it startsbecoming a hassle extremely quick.

Not sure why this was even a suggestion, doesn't sound helpful for anyone to say "go buy hundreds of more dollars of equipment just to run a few commands."

--- EDIT ---

Furthermore, what happens when the project is delivered, and they want more changes/features but I pass it up or someone else is cheaper? Can someone else then register a CSJ file once it's been registered to another PC? This is VERY common in contracting/consulting - seems like this could become a serious issue for some of us.

Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

@killerspaz: clearly you know better and are smarter than everyone else here. maybe you should look for help elsewhere then. making an assumption about how much someone knows from what they suggest - really? especially over the internet. and your very specific CAPS words weren't insulting either - right.

on the note of what he suggested, it is very plain and very clear, only one key per machine. if you dont like it then i suggest you go to the issue tracker and submit a feature request. here is a link:

https://www.blackberry.com/jira

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

@jtegen, it's VERY obvious you don't develop for a living, especially not contracting.

Typically you're hired by NON-TECHNICAL SAVVY people. Asking them to sign a bar file might as well be presented to them as brain surgery.

They pay you for a job, delivery is part of that job. I can't buy a new computer for every client that wants a PlayBook app.

Anyone with REAL experience have any knowledge on the matter?

Wow, where is this coming from?

Yes, I've been developing for a few decades and make a pretty good living from it.  I've done more contract jobs than I can recall and all my clients have been very satisfied from my work.

I agree that many clients can be non-technical and having them go thru the current process of signing would be brain surgery for them.  All you would have to do is to create a little script for them to run on their machine.

I also agree that having multiple machines is not a final solution.  But if you are trying to get an app out for another client now, this is a short term fix.  The signing process has a lot of problems and a seasoned software engineer looks for ways to get around problems, not to create them.  I never said to buy a new machine.

Someone suggested VMWare of another/same OS, which would work, but for me, adding it to another machine on my local network would get the problem done a little faster than having to install another OS image each time.

Instead of bashing someones suggestion, how about providing a viable alternative solution so we can all learn from your vast experience as a software engineer.

Developer
lrrm
My Device: Playbook (sim)

ok, after the issue with killerspast is solved, I'm still struggling getting my app signed. If I provide the path in "" it does not work, if I provide a wrong path it tells me that the signer can't find the file. So I conclude that I've entered everything right, but that leads to the error. So I must have done something else wrong. I've recreated the p12 and the bar file, but that didn't helped. I've tried to overwrite the csk file, but he told me that this file is existent.

any suggestions?

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

@lrrm: what you will most likely end up doing is requesting a new set of keys. this kind of sounds like the keys you installed are corrupted by some kind of error. others who have run into dead ends like this have requested new keys and are able to sign. so definitely request a new set of keys via this link:

https://www.blackberry.com/SignedKeys

That way, if you can figure out this problem, you can have a fresh pair of keys in two days. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
lrrm

thanks for your advice. I'll do so.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

New Developer
killerspaz

A friend of mine just brought to my attention that there are linux tools available... At this time, I'm going to look into using vbox with a minimal linux installation... maybe gentoo or **bleep** small linux (DSL) to keep the footprint SUPER small (~150mb for a working shell).

It would be nice to have the ability to register multiple code sign keys though.

Developer
lrrm

do you have more information about that?

New Developer
killerspaz

If you're talking to me, then really all I'm going to do is get a minimal linux install up and running in a VM, and just use a VM per client...

To minimize disk space impact, I'll utilize a distro that's known for minimalism and quick boot strapping.

Something like Ubuntu is very viable, but a few gigs per install can add up pretty quick.

Not my desired course of action, but seemingly the best one available.