Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: HOWTO: Sign your Applications from CMD

this may sound like a noob question but, what are the certs for exactly?

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

There are a few well known companies out there that will validate your identity. You may have heard of some if you've done web development such as Thawte.

When you go to a site, say like your bank site, they utilize SSL which is a form of certification. This certificate tells the user that this is indeed the person they say they are so they know they're not putting personal information into a fake site.

In similar fashion, when people download my applications, they can feel comfortable that I am the original publisher, and not some guy that somehow stole the app or decompiled, and wrote extra code in it to steal your private information.

If I am forced to use two certs/identities, it can cause confusion to the savvy person, ESPECIALLY if I am gathering information like SSN/Credit cards/policy numbers/bank account info/etc.

As a long time and very serious developer, this is a VERY serious matter to me.

I hope it's *me* that's in the wrong here - and I'm just missing a flag or setting on the command line.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

ahh ok, so its making sense now. now since you cannot use the comma and puncuation in the company name you need to redo things?

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
New Developer

[ Edited ]

That would be one approach... The approach I ended up taking was to rebuild my self-signed cert.

I don't think the CSJ is the issue... I should be able to easily rebuild a cert with the updated company name since no one has my app yet.

In other words, I think even if the company name was as simple as "ABCD" I would be having this exact same issue.

If they DID have the app, I'd have to migrate the app to use a different key, and the user should be informed about a change upon getting the new key (this is dependent on the platform they're using - ie, windows, your browser, android, playbook, etc.. .they may show nothing at all to the user indicating the change).

At this point it's what the blackberry-signer is expecting, and what FlashBuilder generates as a key are not compatible somehow.

Developer

This one (sign your app steps) should put on the FAQ or Wiki.

Also, what happen if you have multi-applications ?

I believe for the second and other applications, you only need to do "Double sign" steps. ( No more needed repeat the p12 ... etc steps )    ( Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks )

Developer
My Device: Torch

correct.

Subsequent apps only need the Double Signing...

no need to register again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My PlayBook Apps
Developer

@turtle-dev wrote:

correct.

Subsequent apps only need the Double Signing...

no need to register again.

Thanks to confirm.

One more question...

Is the register ( and p12? ) are machine dependant ?  ( tie to MAC address ? )

Can we reuse them on different machines ?

( ex. Can I reuse all on differnt Windows PCs and Macs and Unixs ?  Or need to re-register for each machine ? )

New Developer

the p12 key is portable, but the csj is not... it will hash off your hardware and some entropy you OS provides (usually a randomized string seeded by time) most likely. So you'd have to register the csj on every comp if they allow that, or get a new key for every pc
New Developer
My Device: Torch, Playbook Sim

How long did the stuff come after ordering the signing keys? I've been waiting 3.5 working american days and I'm starting to wonder if something didn't go quite right with the process...

------------------------------------

My App
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I got my initial emails from after my order in about 6 hours.  If you have not received it yet, I would inquire about your order.