Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
danielleCoder
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: verizon

Has anyone been able to run an android app?

Just wondering what people know about the abilities and limits of the android player we all seem to have installed on the pb, has anyone been able to run an actual .apk using the player?

Also, anyone know which will be first to the pb - android player or ndk developement?

Regards

Please use plain text.
Developer
MauriceRice
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Has anyone been able to run an android app?

Wrong forum. This is the Tablet OS SDK for Adobe AIR forum.

I seriously hope that we get an extended SDK with notifications api, magnetometer, gyroscope,  enhanced security api, Bluetooth and maybe even USB host support. We need this last week.

I may be wrong, but your observation that most ofus  have installed the Android player is a bit overstated. The buggy leaked-then-hacked beta version bears no resemblance to the final release version will never be installed on my device.

Please use plain text.
Developer
XoomMan
My Device: PlayBook

[ Edited ]

The Android player works great for me. I've been playing with it since was first available and most android apps work on it. Some apps like angry birds don't work though. One thing about it you can do things with the Android player that you can't do with AIR. You have full access to all of the hardware in the PlayBook. I've been playing with the gyroscope and magnetometer and you can push notifications. You can't do that with AIR. And it comes with a native email client too. :smileyvery-happy:

I hope that the NDK will be available soon. From playing with the Android player I can really see what the PlayBook can do. The NDK should give us developer full access to the PlayBook. Something you only have with a leaked app now.

Please use plain text.
Developer
danielleCoder
My Device: torch 9800

Hi XoomMan,

Any ideas what would cause some apps to run and not others?

I have installed my .apk via ota on playbook  and i get a parser error when trying to open the app.

I have actually created an hybrid app of native android code and air to access bluetooth and now the app is running fine on android, i would love to see it running on the playbook, any ideas what a parser error is on open?

Please use plain text.