Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Haxe and NME

New thread to discuss Haxe and NME.

Some have used both Haxe/NME and AS3.

Questions:

* How do native flash, custom and BB QNX controls work in this environment (Buttons, Dropdowns, Text Input, etc.)

* Ease of setup

* Services (Geolocation, Accelerometer)

New Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 4G
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Haxe and NME

Hi!

It's very simple to setup NME for development. Here are a couple videos I did yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFCr1qr0E6U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhEya1YWgfg

Most of the projects built with NME have been games, so a lot of game-related APIs (accelerometer, joystick support, etc) have been implemented, but some of the things that you may want for an application (like geolocation) are not supported yet, though this would be very simple to add.

NME is using the SDL port for BlackBerry right now, which is not going to run inside of Cascades. However, it could be possible to create a new stage that works as a "foreign window" for use in Qt/Cascades.

Another idea would be to explore Cascades bindings for Haxe. That would mean you code is written in Haxe and compiled to C++ for use with Cascades. It sort of drops the NME/Flash paradigm, but this could be done -- someone has used Haxe to work with wxWidgets, and it would be a similar idea.

NME is compatible with a SWF library that can help you use Flash assets, but it won't process Actionscript. Actionscript only works when you are targeting Flash. I have been questioning what method I would want for an application UI -- create in Flash, create with Cascades, find another option? There are pros and cons to each path 

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

Thanks, thats very interesting.

So, if exisiting AS3 libs only work when i taget Flash and not C++  - are there any basic UI-controls like lists written in Haxe available? I mean, i can create Buttons, Sliders and even the BB10 Actionbar by my own, but a skinnable list, optimized for touch-events  is a lot of work...

RIM should hire someone like you to port the BB10 controls to Haxe as soon as possible.

New Developer

This is interesting...

So would you rather have standard native Cascades controls, accessed from a language like Haxe, or would you rather have Haxed-based UI controls that follow the same function and design as other BlackBerry 10 applications?

In the first case, you would not have a Flash-like API -- it would be the API for Cascades, but in addition to using C/C++ to write the application, you would have the option of using Haxe, which would feel much more like Actionscript.

In the second option, it would be the same as Flash development (Sprite, SimpleButton, Graphics, Sound, URLLoader, etc) but we would have a set of controls for applications. It could take some work to bring polish so it provides a similar experience, but it may be closer to what you are used to and would be more compatible with cross-platform

Developer

Ideally, a set of controls that are under the AS3, RIM fuse framework (LabelButtons, Lists, TextInput, DropDowns, Actions, UIComponents, sliders, etc.) that have the look and feel of the BB10 UI/UX. And to have those controls to go to BB10, Android, iOS, would be *really* big.

Seems like RIM should have done this instead of the Cascade stuff. Ease of ActionScript with the power of NDK/Qnx. Probably would have more apps.
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

I would prefere the second option too.

New Developer

I believe a great platform should have both a first-class web implementation and high-performance, low-level native access using C/C++.

The direction for BlackBerry 10 focuses on those pillars. I do not mind that RIM is using a C++ framework for applications. It should lead to the fastest possible performance and greatest flexibility for features that are possible.

Having a fast, low-level platform means that we have the opportunity to use things like NME on top. It is a win for low-level developers, and it provides a foundation for high-level developers. It took less than 48 hours to port NME for the BlackBerry PlayBook -- it holds the record (by far) for NME platforms, thanks to the low-level support, and the libraries (like SDL) that RIM has on GitHub.

I appreciate your feedback! The more that I think about it, the more I like this suggestion. It reminds me of the way that Qt supports platforms. At the end of the day, "native look and feel" is using the correct graphic and tweens. This can be hard to replicate, but once you have there is a tremendous level of flexibility. I love using NME for games, but I said before that I was struggling to find a solution that worked right for me for applications. This could be it Smiley Wink

Developer

[ Edited ]

I know you would get support from RIM's open source initiative to have an "official" implementation of Haxe/NME for BB10. It would be a big win for RIM for this:
1) Higher level API that is already used by the majority of PlayBook developers (AS3)
2) Low level performance
3) Choice to deploy AS3, WebWorks or C++
4) Maintain cross device support
5) Open Source

You might want to submit this for a topic for JAM America as a non-conference conference meetup.

Developer

@singmajestry:
So is the thought to have Haxe/NME to allow a developer to build "native" apps via ActionScript API?
New Developer

Yep!

I think this is an excellent idea. I'm currently exploring how to bring the BlackBerry 10 UI styles into Haxe Smiley Happy