Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

zakcoop
My Device: Bold 9700

How can I use a touchscreen PC/Mac with the simulator for more realistic testing - a mouse doesn't cut it

Is it possible to interactive within the Playbook VMWare simulator on a touchscreen PC using my fingers in order to have a more realistic development phase?

That is, I'm running the simulator successfully on a Mac that has touchscreen capabilities. However, I'm only able to use my mouse to interact within the VMWare simulator - I can't touchscreen in the simulator. Is there a setting I need to change? If I try to touchscreen within the simulator I get nothing. If I use my Mac's mouse, all is good.

I don't have an actually Playbook device, so I'm trying to get the most realistic demo possible - using my fingers instead of a mouse - thus the impetus for installing the SDK on a touchscreen-enabled Mac.

Developer
JRab

Re: How can I use a touchscreen PC/Mac with the simulator for more realistic testing - a mouse doesn't cut it

hey,

unfortuanately there is not way to do any multitouch testing within the simulator. we have to wait for either a simulator update or the actual device to accomplish this (which ever comes first).

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: How can I use a touchscreen PC/Mac with the simulator for more realistic testing - a mouse doesn't cut it

If you can run your application in AIR on your development machine then you can use the multitouch stuff. From the command line I do this using "adl my-app.xml" and it launches my .swf in a regular window.  There are equivalent approaches if using Flash Builder and other tools.

I don't believe VMWare supports multitouch except possibly when running in fullscreen mode (to judge by some googling I just did), which I doubt the PlayBook simulator will ever support.

It occurs to me that one might be able to rig up some code to simulate multitouch within the simulator, though it would be very awkward to use, at best, and would allow moving only one touch point at a time.  I picture four buttons, to select the multitouch id, and some code which hooks the regular mouse events and then generates the appropriate touch events.  Has anyone tried that?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

You can use a touchscreen for single-touch, but alas the simulator seems to screw up the touch coordinates. It doesn't take the bezel or the simulator window position into account.

I've tried it with Windows 7 on a Packard Bell Viseo 200T. I'll try it on a Dell Lattitude XT2 if I have a spare moment this weekend.

Cheers,                    - Jon -

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
zakcoop

Thanks Jon. Looking forward to the results. I habe an iPad app that allows me to use the iPad as a screen for my mac. As such, I've also tried starting up the simulator on my mac, moving it to my iPad, then trying the touchscreen. No dice.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

Same results on a Dell Latitude XT2 tablet laptop.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands