Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
wmatt
My Device: Playbook
Accepted Solution

How do you beta test an app?

I want to let people test out my app. What's a good way of doing this? 

Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900

Re: How do you beta test an app?

There's probably more than a few developers here that would be willing to help test your app.  You can share a signed bar file that we can sideload onto our PlayBooks for testing.

If you'd like me to help out ;-) you can send an email to the "support email" found at the link in my signature.

Cheers!

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
New Developer
Omnipitence

You can also add people into your sandbox account and then they can download the application for free in order to test.

In addition i have been trying to get live testing to work, which would mean you don't have to actually publish your application before allowing your sandboxed users to test the application.

it is apparently possible by following these instructions

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/23959/Testing_your_application_1315911_11.jsp#...

But i have not been able to succesfully get it working.

Regards

Anthony

Playbook Apps

Liquid-Photo
Follow us on Twitter @LiquidPhotoApp
P.S. Did you know you can take a screen shot by holding down the up/down volume buttons on the PlayBook! Great for recording errors.
Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

One option is to launch it for free as Beta, and solicit feedback. Have a nice big button where user's can send you comments...

When you're done testing, pull that version off the market, and post the real one. 

Developer
wmatt

That's a good idea.
Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900

If you plan to release a beta into appworld, be sure you label it as such.  There are some "reviewers" that will not so gently rip in to your application if they think that the beta is the finished product. ;-)

It won't matter in the long run because you intend to drop it, but if it gets bad reviews it may deter other users from downloading it and providing you valuable feedback. ;-)

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I would have the app id append "beta" to it so when you release it under a new product (without appended "beta"), then it will have a different set of reviews.