Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
shism2
My Device: Not Specified

How do you foreground your application?

Is there an API like requestForeground?

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: How do you foreground your application?

Not publically.  Nor has there been any word if this is planned.  So you will have to assume not available.

Developer
shism2

Sigh, that totally destroys my idea for an app.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Don't let it totally destroy the idea... just put it on the backburner and focus on a different idea until we learn more.  There are *many* APIs and features which haven't been announced or documented yet.

I'd be very concerned about a foregrounding API, though I suppose if it was clearly documented that an app did it I would be able to choose whether to install it or not.  The "correct" way for apps to get the user's attention will be for them to register a notification, using a yet-to-be-released API for that.  

This will result in a little "flag" icon in the upper left of the system status bar, along with a count of the number of pending notifications.  (At least, that's what the first simulator showed us, but it could well change.)  The user will have to proactively look at those notifications by clicking on the icon or something.

I think there may also be a blue (or something) LED next to the camera, maybe available to be flashed via the same Notifications API.

I'd be interested (if you can describe it in general terms) to hear your use case for forcing your app to the foreground without user action.  (If I were watching a video, or giving a presentation, I would be extremely annoyed if an app did that unexpectedly, and it would almost certainly get uninstalled immediately if that happened.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
shism2

[ Edited ]

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

I'd guess there will be some sort of API specifically for screen-blankers...  presumably with support for disabling them automatically when running on battery.  It's certainly not been published yet.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!