Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: Q10, PlayBook
Accepted Solution

How does actionscript / flash apps get compiled for the PlayBook?

Hi,

When creating a bar file, what exactly is happening? Is my actionscript being translated into native arm assembly code using an LLVM as described by Adobe for their iOS implementation?

I am asking because when I tell people I'm making an app using actionscript, they say "Flash? why would you use Flash? Adobe has given up on it".  I'd like to be able to understand better how actionscript/flex/flash is implemented for apps on the PlayBook, as well as explain it better to others.

Thanks for the clarification.

Developer
lrrm
My Device: Playbook (sim)

Re: How does actionscript / flash apps get compiled for the PlayBook?

not exactly... a bar file is just a compressed file, don't know if zip or rar. you can extract it using winrar until it's not signed (afaik?). the compiled swf file is in it as some other files needed by the system to display your app correct. The Air enviroment is built in the System which might be a less comfortable situation compared to iOs and Android. You must wait until RIM delivers an update and to be honest: I've seen faster things than RIM updating AIR. Their capacities might be bound by bb10 but hey, it's just an enviroment.

what I'm telling the people who say flash is dead:

iOs and Android might not know Flash, but Flash knows iOs and Android.

This leads to a moment wtf until I explain that there's a compiler for these OSs.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Your AS3 code compiles to a SWF that runs on the virtual machine in the AIR runtime.

From: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html

"Adobe continues to actively invest in enabling developers to create and deploy Flash based content as mobile (and desktop) applications via Adobe AIR."

Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane

also, it's not correct to say that Adobe has given up on Flash. If someone tells you that again, tell them 'Define Flash'. Because what Adobe has given up upon is the support of a standalone Flash Player for mobile devices, which is perfectly normal, because AIR uses an integrated Flash Player. So as long as Adobe still further develops their AIR (which still runs at least on iOS, I saw a new app just two days ago), Flash won't die

Also, as the others said, RIM might take a while to update their BB10 AIR: AIR is currently in version 3.3, on PlayBook it is still at 3.1 (3.1 uses Flash Player 11.1). Although on Android and iOS it is also still at 3.1...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane

uh, and a bit of googling gives you this: http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmedia/2012/08/fp-11-4-and-air-3-4/

published today, AIR 3.4 and FlashPlayer 11.4 (and now let's wait 10 minutes until the flood of 'flash is dead' comes, like always :smileytongue:)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
New Developer
My Device: Q10, PlayBook

thanks for explaining ppl!