Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

How to remote control Playbook

Dears,

My name is Yaniv, I am new to this forums, it is very nice to meet all.
My basic question is about remote controlling the Playbook device.
When I say remote control, I mean I want to achieve a VNC-like behavior. I don't mind separating the solution for control (mouse events) and video (stream of images taken as screenshots), but I need both eventually.

I don't mind which framework to use - Adobe Air, Java, SSH into the qnx layer, etc.

Any thoughts and ideas (not to mention reference to solutions... ) will be gladly accepted.
Thanks,

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: How to remote control Playbook

Sounds like you want this for automated testing, as in test-driven development or something. If so, good man! Unfortunately, you're not going to get very far with it until at least the native SDK is available, in theory around the end of the summer (at least for a beta).

Even then, it's quite possible (I'd say nearly certain) this won't magically let you control the whole PlayBook, though it may make it easier to control your own app remotely. I think the PlayBook's "sandboxing" of apps will likely continue to spell trouble for those of us interested in fully automated testing for quite some time.

I think this is something to request of RIM with a clear description of your use case. Maybe start by posting more details here, and eventually it might make it to the right ears.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Orange

Well, you got it right, that's exactly what I need... Need to be able to control the Playbook from the PC, as in VNC.

By the way, are you certain that installing a VNC server on the qnx layer is not going to do the trick? Is the Playbook GUI system not based on X11 server?
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

That's correct, it's not X11.  And QNX is not Linux, in spite of various ignorant writers stating things like that in the last few months.  Even if it were, things are currently locked down well enough that (it appears) only things built into the OS layers would have any access to the system in the way you'd require.  I suspect this isn't something that will happen without the direct support and action of RIM and QNX, even if it is a third-party that does most of the work.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Because RIM is all about security, I really doubt they would open this up to 3rd parties. At best, it would be an app that RIM/QNX would supply.