Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
apman

How to use the API reference

[ Edited ]

I'm struggling a bit with the documentation - all the 'Getting started' stuff has been done so well now, but the new layout of the API reference seems a step backwards from how it was done up to version 1.1.1.  Or hopefully it's just me ..  so,

1) is there a way to search for a class if I don't know which package it's in? (only searching the AIR reference, not Cascades, or the forum posts)

2) can I look up somewhere which .swc (or .ane ?) I need to get a certain package?  (specifically I'm looking for qnx.fuse.ui.styles which doesn't seem to be in qnxui.swc where a lot of the other fuse packages are)

Thanks for any help

Anna

Edit:  qnx.fuse.ui.styles finally showed up when I figured out that I have to put QNXSkins.ane not just in the build path, but then scroll all the way to the right (in FB 4.6) to reveal and check a little checkbox to get it actually *packaged* ... (not quite sure why I would want to use it but not package it, but FB probably has its reasons not to do it automatically ...) 

But anyway, the two general questions above remain ...

My app : Get set - Get up!   Get ready for the snooze revolution.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: How to use the API reference

#1: To find a class by name, just use Google but restrict the URL to the API ref using the inurl keyword. For instance, to search for the QNXWebView class, enter this into Google:

QNXWebView inurl:developer.blackberry.com/air/apis/bb10

or click:

https://www.google.com/search?q=qnxwebview+inurl%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fdeveloper.blackberry.com%2Fair%2Fap...

#2: documentation of the .swc's and .ane's would indeed be a good idea.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
apman

A bit of a hack :-)  ... but that'll do. Thanks! 

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

I agree that the documentation layout is not developer friendly. It looks great, but not easy to navigate and search. Wish they would just adopt the "Adobe" way to do API lookup. Personally, I dont like the amount of scrolling you have to do to find something.

Please use plain text.
Developer
apman

Yes, it's great that I can read the site without my glasses, but the nice generous layout means endless scrolling and the friendly look & feel belies the fact that once you drill in you're on your own (if it wasn't for the great people in this forum!) with many of the property/method/event descriptions saying little more than what you could easily guess from the name.

I know some of it will be completely obvious to the seasoned developer, but a few more examples and/or links to relevant overview articles (e.g. "Using fuse ui components" or "Working with layouts" would be a nice touch.)

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

More simple samples would be helpful.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
HaddyHad
My Carrier: Rogers

Thank you so much Anna for the gem of information you included in your message. Its the missing bit that I've wasted more time because of. Its worth repeating; so in your words:

Edit: qnx.fuse.ui.styles finally showed up when I figured out that I have to put QNXSkins.ane not just in the build path, but then scroll all the way to the right (in FB 4.6) to reveal and check a little checkbox to get it actually *packaged* ... (not quite sure why I would want to use it but not package it, but FB probably has its reasons not to do it automatically ...)

Please use plain text.
Developer
apman

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara

[ Edited ]

+100 for API docs that are more functional.  Beauty is a secondary or tertiary concern for something that's supposed to help you figure out how things actually work.  All I really care about on the appearance is whether the fonts and color scheme are friendly to eyeballs that have been staring at code for countless hours (i.e. foofy fuzzy blurry pretty blue fonts on a bright white background = FAIL).

And the property and method descriptions that have no additional description beyond what is in the one-liner in the summary table?  They make me feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football again. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

This was brought up during the BB Jam in California. Substance vs. beauty. Vote for substance. The amount of scrolling you have to do with these docs are counter productive. Rather have Adobe AIR type docs. Hate to have to scroll all the way back up to get to the index, where in the Adobe docs method, the index is in its own IFRAME and easily accessible. I think the people who are doing the doc layout dont actually have to use them.
Please use plain text.