Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Huge Performance issues with scroll list on Playbook (especially Air applications)

Bullety wrote:

You can see this lagging also in the official Facebook app - its the same bad performance when it comes to scrolling.

As one of the primary dev's for that App, I wanted to defend it for a sec! Our item renderes are extremely complex, with up to 20 display objects, all of which must be mouse enabled, and all textfields must be m,ouse enabled as well. The fact we got it at smooth as we did was a small miracle! 

In general there shouldnt be issues with scrolling performance if you don;t have the requirements we had.

Check out my app Picshop Lite for an example of this. Simply cache your display objects to bitmapData, and you get great speeds/.

I don't know what is up with App World, but what I wouldn't give to be locked in a room with the source code for that app! I could get it to rock solid 30fps pretty easily I think, there's absolutely no reason it should be as slow as it is...

Please use plain text.
Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Huge Performance issues with scroll list on Playbook (especially Air applications)

Also, the reason Cascades is fast is mainly cause it's hardware accelerated.

RIM could make AIR better here with a couple things:

1. Fix the broken GPU Render Mode, then we could all do 60fps easily.

2. Support stage3d. Again, 60fps in your sleep... 

Please use plain text.
Developer
Bullety
My Device: Z10

@shawnblais:

Then my Playbook must be broken...because it's really laggy when it comes to scrolling.

I can understand that there are many objects to render in Facebook...but how do the competitors get this smooth?

There is a problem at least with my Playbook because it is really laggy even with standard apps...
Please use plain text.