Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
marcioandreyoliveira
My Device: Playbook

Re: I have a problem with the playbook simulator

shadowgolf, I completely agree with you. They should do some easy to go environment otherwise a lot of developers will need to forget about Playbook. Regards.
Visitor
dcliff1
My Device: BB 9800

Hello,

I'm trying to port my Android App to the Playbook, but I'm unfortunately having the same issue. I'm extremely suprised the playbook simulator doesn't fallback to software rendering for development purposes. 

I also have a Intel (945) gfx chipset and have the error: MKSHostOps_Exit3D: 0, 1 

Thanks!

New Contributor
sagaragrawal
My Device: Don't have a device

I think the Playbook Simulator does need bigger screen resolution to run correctly. On my older laptop which has the highest resolution of 1280 x 800, it didn't go further to [starting screen]. But, on my newer laptop which has HD resolution (720p), it started without much problem (that is after few attempts). 

Once it started running, then I took a snapshot by suspending it instead of Powering off. So, next start it picks up where it left. That's a sweet feature of VM Ware. :-)

Hope this helps. 

Developer
wwwillem
My Device: PlayBook

don't think it has to do with screen resolution, it's probably just that your new laptop had better graphics specs; or at least matching with what the simulator expects
Developer
wwwillem
My Device: PlayBook

After the 2.0.0 Simulator failed with VMware Fusion on MacBook pro, I thought to move the whole thing to another platform. First tried CentOS 5, which got me nowhere.

Then I installed VMplayer on a Windows box:

= Lenovo ThinkCenter with 2 GB RAM and 100+ GB of free disk

= graphics is Intel Q965/Q963

= Windows XP Professional SP3

= DirectX version 9

= VMplayer 4.0.2

I updated the graphics drivers to latest, greatest, still from 2008. :-)

I ran dxdiag, which showed no problems at any of the 3D tests.

Yes I see in my logfiles this "vmx| I120: Failed to load D3DX9 library" error, however in "C:\Windows\System32" there is a file "d3dx9_32.dll. Others mentioned _40. Could this be the real problem, the VM maybe looking for a (too) specific version of this dll ?

RIM, you can hand out free PlayBooks for developers, but maybe you should give us free PCs that are capable of running your tools. :-)

I've now spent way more hours (around 20-30) on trying to get a development environment up and running than on writing cool applications. Well, I do have the app, all packaged and signed, but I simply can't test it without an emulator.

New Contributor
tinyworkspaces
My Device: Simulator

We are hearing a lot from developers, it would be great to hear from RIM.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having problems with VMWare enabling 3D support. 

We are currently working on providing a software fallback, i.e. safe mode, for cases where VMWare fails to detect a 3D card. This will allow you to develop flash applications and unblock you from your current problems.  

This fallback is a gating feature for our next release of the 2.0 simulator.

Daryl

New Contributor
tinyworkspaces
My Device: Simulator

Hi Daryl, many thanks for the response and great to know a solution is in the pipeline. Would you have some indicative idea of an expected release date for this?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A

No problem at all.

Just to give a quick update, the software fall back work is completed and will be in the next version of the simulator that's shipped. 

New Contributor
matrixx
My Device: Simulator only (developer)

Hi, I have the same problem (though developing with c++ with Native SDK), my crappy linux drivers are running in software mode, so this fallback mode would be very nice to have, to be able to run the simulator. Now that the OS 2.0 is out, any estimate when the next simulator release will happen?