Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
My Device: Storm2 9550

Re: I have a problem with the playbook simulator

I tried to compile the mesa drivers from source (I'm assuming that's what I need). I ended up in a rabbit hole of dependencies that I couldn't satisfy. The Fedora-packaged drivers actually got updated on Saturday, but that didn't fix the problem for me either. At this point I'm at a stand-still.
Visitor
My Device: Playbook developer

I am running Ubuntu Linux and had similar problems. The vmware.log file in the simulator directory had the following error "Required extension GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc is missing". I googled that and found "http://techsteel.wordpress.com/2010/08/05/i-just-wanted-some-3d-acceleration-within-vmware/". I installed a program called driconf and turned on the setting "Enable S3TC texture compression even if software support is not available". The playbook simulator booted on the the next try. Maybe a similar solution will help you.
New Contributor
My Device: Storm2 9550

@wrightpc:  I just gave that a try and it worked!  Thanks for the tip

Contributor
My Device: Playbook

Hi. I'm stuck with the same error: my VM stops loading at the same point shown in the screenshoot of first post.

My configurations:

• Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
  • VMware Player version 4.0.1 build 528992
  • 3D support is enabled
  • Playbook simulator:  1.0.8-6067-Win-201112052354 (I've tested with version 2.0.0-3778-Win-201110170631 and got exactly the same error)

The VMware log is here.

Does anyone have any idea what can I do to solve it?

Regards.

Contributor

Hi.

Analysing log file I found out the error message Failed to load D3DX9 library.

With help of process monitor I saw VMware player was trying to load dll d3dx9_40.dll but wasn't able to find it.

After some research on google I discovered it's a DirectX dll. More specififcally, version 9 (windows 7 comes with version 11).

I read a page were it was recommended to install DirectX from Microsoft site (according to what was on page there is no problem to have multiple versions of DirecX installed).

I installed DirectX and the d3dx9_40.dll was successfuly loaded by VMware player but the problems keeps exactly the same.

I haven't saw any new hint in the log file. You can see new log file here.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: N/A

Would you be able to run dxdiag on your machine and post the logs?  You can run from Start Menu->Run.  I don't see anything obvious standing out in your VMWare logs.

I also noticed that you're using VMWare version 4.0.  Would you be able to edit the vmx file to change the virtualHW.version from 8 to 7? 

Thanks,

Daryl

Contributor

Hi.

Thanks for your time.

I forgot to mencion I've already checked my DirectX installation with dxdiag. It's version 11. You can see it here.

I opened vmx file as you've suggested but virtualHW.version variable already was set to "7" (you can see my vmx file here.

Kind regards.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook

I see the same error with VMware Fusion on MacBook....

This is with the 2.0.0 version of the simulator. The 1.0.1 version was running fine.

Contributor

I've uninstalled VMware player 4.1 and installed version 3.1.5. The same error.

Does anyone have any clue?

Regards.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook

later I tried the 1.0.8 simulator, same problem as with 2.0.0

seems that only 1.0.1 is working