Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

Re: I have an (apparently) non-working application in the App World because of StageWebView (it's not visible at all)

[ Edited ]

OMA2k wrote:

Is there a "bugbase" page where I can submit this bug?

Looks like you've found two separate bugs:

• StageWebView not scaled by StageScaleMode 
  • StageWebView disappears if larger than screen

I'd file them as two different issues, and note the relation in the comments. Also mention the difference with other platforms.

The bug tracker is here: https://www.blackberry.com/jira. You'll need to create an account. It's a very powerful system but takes a ltitle getting used to, so don't panic when you see all those options.

Edit: fixed link, requires https

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
New Developer
OMA2k
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Re: I have an (apparently) non-working application in the App World because of StageWebView (it's not visible at all)

[ Edited ]

Well, I've filed two separate bugs, as you suggested. I hope my explanations make sense :Sweatdrop:

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-553

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-554

BTW, I just received a new favorable comment in my app. WTF? Why is the app working for those people? Well, at least I'm lucky to receive favorable comments, I guess :Shifty:

So this bug is not happening in some version of Tablet OS, but that version is not 2.0.0.7971 nor 1.0.8.6067 (I tested in those two versions and in both the StageWebView is invisible, rendering my app useless).

So which one is the version which doesn't have the bug? AIR 3.1 apps can't run in 1.0.7 or older, can they? Also, I guess App World doesn't let people install my app with 1.0.7 or older, since I marked that app as requiring 1.0.8 (or maybe the App World doesn't enforce that?)

So, what does that leaves us with? I have absolutely no idea of what setup those users, who run this app fine, have :Wacko:

Well, I submitted a new updated version of my app with the workaround code I mentioned in my previous post, but I'm a bit wary that it might break the app for the people who were running the app just fine now :No:

Developer
Innovatology

Good job! As for your reviews: I can't explain. Perhaps somebody (eg RIM, a carrier or a partner) is running a newer, unreleased build of the OS where this bug has already been fixed? You can find the OS version numbers in your download reports, though you'll only see the version number used when downloading, and users may have updated since then.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
New Developer
OMA2k

[ Edited ]

Innovatology wrote:

I can't explain. Perhaps somebody (eg RIM, a carrier or a partner) is running a newer, unreleased build of the OS where this bug has already been fixed?

I think that's quite unlikely, but who knows.

Innovatology wrote:

You can find the OS version numbers in your download reports, though you'll only see the version number used when downloading, and users may have updated since then.

Thanks for the tip. I still hadn't taken a look there. Well, if the download reports are trustable, it seems ALL people, no matter from what country or carrier, downloaded the app with Tablet OS 2.0.0, except ONE person from Canada using "Rogers" carrier, who downloaded the app with OS 6.0.0!

WTF?! :Wacko:

Where does that high version come from? The "Device model" for that person is still "PlayBook", the same as for the rest of people, so that's not a version of a BB smartphone OS or something like that (which would be impossible anyway, since my app is supposed to be a Playbook-only app). Maybe it's a custom version from that "Rogers" carrier?

So, it seems practically all people, except one, used Tablet OS 2.0.0, so how come I got two people talking about the app as if it was working perfectly? I'll never understand that.

Anyway, today my "workaround update" was approved into the Blackberry App World, and today I got, for the first time from Playbook devices, a couple of contact forms from two people, so that's a good sign :Yes: (the contact form was also using StageWebView and was also invisible in my Playbook in previous versions).

BUT, even if those two bugs have been "worked around", I've still found yet another bug:Eek:

Now the StageWebView is correctly shown whenever it's needed, but some of the times, instead of showing the actual page, it shows a checkered grey/white pattern!

This is a crop from an actual screenshot taken from my Playbook using the Volume +/- buttons:

StageWebView_Bug.png

That's how the StageWebView viewport in my app sometimes looks like.

The odd thing is, this doesn't happen always. Only sometimes,

and after trying lots of times, I haven't been able to identify any pattern

on how to reproduce this. Only that it happens sometimes after loading a different

page into the StageWebView (the SWV is hidden while the page is loading,

and shown when it's done).

The funny thing is, the actual page appears in the screen as soon as I touch

that checkered pattern. So the page actually loads! It's just a very annoying

cosmetic issue. But an important one, since the user might think the app is broken!

In my app I just create a StageWebView at the beginning of the app execution,

and then reuse it throughout the whole life of the app (I just remove it from view

and show it again, when needed). I thought about maybe changing the strategy

and disposing the StageWebView each time, since this "checkers bug" never seems

to happen in the first load.

But then I've found in BB's Jira that StageWebView in AIR for TabletOS

has yeeeeet another bug :smileymad:

StageWebView crashes when disposing/constructing

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-11

And that bug seems to have been unresolved since November 2010!!!

So that bug, plus the two I already reported, plus the new "checkers" bug I've found,

makes 4 bugs in the same component! :Censored:

None of those bugs are present in the original Adobe AIR for any other platform. This is getting quite annoying.

I'm not sure if I should report the "checkers" bug, because I can't provide any steps to reproduce.

It just happens "sometimes", when it feels like it :Rolleyes:

I suppose some race condition is met sometimes but I can't figure what it is. Maybe it's a bug in the Playbook browser, since StageWebView uses the native browser to show HTML pages, and I remember briefly seeing that checkered pattern when scrolling too fast through websites in the Playbook browser. But of course, I never got that checkered pattern to stay in the screen for longer than 1 second or so. In my app, however, in the cases when I get that pattern, it stays like that forever until i put my finger in the screen. Weird...

Developer
Innovatology

[ Edited ]

The JIRA entry you linked to was talking about a very early beta build of the PlayBook OS (0.9.0). It's very likely it has been resolved in a later build, just not marked in JIRA.

Our app creates and disposes of StageWebViews on demand for OAuth handling and displaying help text, and except for one of the early beta 2.0 builds, has worked just fine since PB OS 1.0.3.

Could the checkerboarding be caused by your wrapper component? I know of at least one StageWebView wrapper that takes a snapshot of the viewport and attempts to fake a displaylist object, allowing for overlays and such. If it took that snapshot before the SWV was ready it could get a checkerboard. Touching the component would probably give it focus and make it swap the snapshot for the real thing...

New Developer
OMA2k

[ Edited ]

Innovatology wrote:

The JIRA entry you linked to was talking about a very early beta build of the PlayBook OS (0.9.0). It's very likely it has been resolved in a later build, just not marked in JIRA.

Ah, I see. Sorry, I was a little frustrated to find all these problems together. I actually haven't tried to dispose the StageWebView, but I'm not sure if that would make any difference.

Innovatology wrote:

Could the checkerboarding be caused by your wrapper component? I know of at least one StageWebView wrapper that takes a snapshot of the viewport and attempts to fake a displaylist object, allowing for overlays and such. If it took that snapshot before the SWV was ready it could get a checkerboard. Touching the component would probably give it focus and make it swap the snapshot for the real thing...

Well, as far as I know StageWebViewBridge doesn't make any snapshot, but I'll have to check. Anyway, if this was the case, this would happen in all platforms, wouldn't it?

Developer
Innovatology

Well, as far as I know StageWebViewBridge doesn't make any snapshot, but I'll have to check. Anyway, if this was the case, this would happen in all platforms, wouldn't it?

In theory, yes, but in practice there are some differences, even between various Android devices. StageWebView uses the device's native Webkit implementation. How that works exactly differs per platform, version and, in the case of Android, even manufacturer.

New Contributor
rtretola
My Device: Playbook

Thanks, this was making me nuts!