Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
lrrm
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: Base
Accepted Solution

I'm a bit concerned about this

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/9/2548802/adobe-killing-mobile-flash-plugin-android-playbook How does this affect the playbook? I assume that the porting of apps built in flash won't be a problem, but what's about the browser?
..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: I'm a bit concerned about this

It had "We will continue to support the current Android and PlayBook configurations with critical bug fixes and security updates" and "Some of our source code licensees may opt to continue working on and releasing their own implementations". So the device is probably covered very well. It some respects, the "flash player" for browsers probably does not need too much updates with current browsers, but it does make if difficult for a vendor to introduce a new mobile browser. Additionally, since many browsers a based on "standard" toolkits like WebKit, new mobile browsers may not occur too often in the future since there really are only 4 players left in the mobile browser space (MS,RIM,Google,Apple). This also indicates that most of the toolkit companies believe HTML5 has matured enough that in-browser Flash is not the direction the web is going.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Wingflap
My Device: Bold 9650 and Playbook 16gb
My Carrier: Sprint

I understand that this is just talking about the browser Flash plugin. But it makes me wonder about the commitment to the Adobe Air runtime for devices themselves. I really like the notion of FlashBuilder's write once/deploy many capabilities. Is it time to transition all of my work with Air to HTML5 now so as to not get left in the lurch one day down the road? Is this why there was barely a mention of Air as a development platform at the DevCon keynote?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approved Apps: Barry Black

Loving my new Playbook!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

It said that "Our future work with Flash on mobile devices will be focused on enabling Flash developers to package native apps with Adobe AIR for all the major app stores". AIR apps for mobile is what they are counting on. Write once, deploy everywhere has been and will continue to be important to Adobe.
Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

[ Edited ]

See here (directly from RIM):

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2011/11/rim’s-commitment-to-support-a-full-web-and-app-experience-today-...

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.