Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
funkyboy
My Device: BB10 DevB
Accepted Solution

Icon on bb10

Hi,

When I run the application on the device the icon does not show up (the default one is shown)

Here is the descriptor file

blackberry-tablet-sdk-3.0.0

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<qnx>
<initialWindow>
<systemChrome>none</systemChrome>
<transparent>false</transparent>
<aspectRatio>portrait</aspectRatio>
<autoOrients>false</autoOrients>
</initialWindow>

<category>core.media</category>
<icon><image>Icon.png</image></icon>

<permission>access_internet</permission>

</qnx>

Icon.png is in both src folder and also in the root of the project.

Using: FDT, Flex 4.6 SDK, blackberry-tablet-sdk-3.0.0

Any idea?

Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: Icon on bb10

Copy your bar file to a new name, with a .zip extension, and unzip it.  In the extracted folder you should see two folders: "air", and "META-INF".  Look in the air folder, and in any subfolders, for your icon file.  The path in yor bar-descriptor.xml for your <icon> element needs to match the relative path from the top of your air folder.  You may have some packaging options set somewhere that are putting your icon down in some sub folder of the air folder.  The easiest fix is to just edit bar-descriptor.xml to give the relative path from the top of the air to your actual icon.

New Contributor
funkyboy
My Device: BB10 DevB

I have followed your suggestion and the air folder contains blackberry-tablet-default-icon.png,

which comes from the sdk folder.

I had to overwrite that to make it appear on the device.

Didn't find an alternative solution.

Also noticing that, the original blackberry-tablet-default-icon.png in the sdk folder is 86x86, wherease the documentation requires the icon to be 114x114. 

Any idea?

Developer
UberschallSamsara

[ Edited ]

funkyboy wrote:

I have followed your suggestion and the air folder contains blackberry-tablet-default-icon.png,

which comes from the sdk folder.

I had to overwrite that to make it appear on the device.

Didn't find an alternative solution.

Also noticing that, the original blackberry-tablet-default-icon.png in the sdk folder is 86x86, wherease the documentation requires the icon to be 114x114. 

Any idea?

I guess RIM didn't update the default icon size for the BB10 AIR SDK.

The 86px icon is for the PlayBook and the 114px icon is for the Dev Alpha/BB10 phones.

BB10 has a higher pixel density than Tablet OS (aka PlayBook).

I've never had any problems getting my icon packaged correctly and never had to overwrite the

default icon in my SDK.  Every time I have ended up w/the default icon being packaged, it has been

due to my own errors in either my packaging settings on my bar-descriptor.xml.

Developer
UberschallSamsara

[ Edited ]

Oh, one more thing:   I've seen sometimes on Windows where png files get written to the WIndows filesystem with a capitalized file extension by some image editing applications (Paint, maybe?  I don't recall now).  Anyway, BB10 (QNX) is Posix compliant which means filenames are case sensitive, and the file path separator is a forward slash.  You might double check capitalization on your icon file name, as well as the file path separator in your bar-descriptor.xml file.