Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
scienceHal
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Icons for a universal BB10 + PB app?

Hello,

I'm creating a "universal" app that works on both BB10 devices and the PlayBook. I've tested it on both devices and everything works perfectly - except the icon.

I'm using the PlayBook SDK and the 86x86 icon for the PlayBook. So my icon looks too small on the BB10 screen. It should be 114x114.

How can I include both icons (86x86 and 114x114) in my bar file and have the correct icon appear depending on if the user loads my app onto a PlayBook or a BB10 device. I figure there must be a way. I tried simply putting both icons in the list of files that get packaged into a bar file, but it didn't work. Thanks in advance!

Damian

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Chetan_A
My Device: PlayBook | Z10
My Carrier: Airtel

Re: Icons for a universal BB10 + PB app?

Try using the XML below:

<icon>
    <image>icon-86.png</image>
    <image>icon-114.png</image>
</icon>

Of course you need to ensure the images are available at the specified path (in my case directly under the "src" folder. Also ensure to package the images when exporting the release build.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
scienceHal

Thanks for the suggestion Chetan_A!

It helped but, unfortunately, didn't solve my problem :smileysad:

If I package and deploy my app using the PlayBook SDK for AIR (2.1.0), it seems to ignore the larger BB10 icon. It packages and deploys perfectly onto both the PlayBook and BB10 devices. But the icon on my BB10 is the smaller PlayBook (86x86) size. Obviously, this doesn't look good.

I tried packaging and deploying my app with the BB10 (3.1.0) SDK for AIR. The bigger (114x114) BB10 icon shows up perfectly on my BB10 device. But when I tried to install the same bar file onto my PlayBook, I got an error message:821 Application-Requires-System: unrecognized system name 'BB10'

Note that in each case, my blackberry-tablet.xml file has:

<icon>

<image>icon-86.png</image>

<image>icon-114.png</image>

</icon>

So, I can create a bar file with the PlayBook SDK for AIR that loads the correct icon onto the PlayBook. And I can create a separate bar file with the BB10 SDK for AIR that loads the file onto my BB10 device with the correct icon.

But I can't figure out how to create a SINGLE bar file that loads onto the PlayBook and a BB10 device with the correct-size icons in each case. Is this possible?

Why do I want to do this?

I'd like to create a single "universal" app that a user can buy once and then either download onto their PlayBook and/or BB10 device after only paying once.

I want to avoid creating a separate BB10 app and a separate PlayBook app.

Any help is appreciated!

Damian.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

To answer your first "want". Having different bar files for the same app still allows the user to download the "same" app for both devices and only pay once.

I dont think we will be fully unified until BB10 is available on the PlayBook. There were some changes done to the XML config files for BB10 that PlayBook probably does not understand yet.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
polako77
My Device: Playbook and Z10
My Carrier: BlackBerry

[ Edited ]

Hi, I had the same issue, I solved it using one single icon of 114x114 for both platforms. It works on the Playbook, since it scales the icon automatically to 86x86.

Hope it helps!
Best!

Polako

Please use plain text.
New Developer
scienceHal

[ Edited ]

Thanks Jtegen and polako!

Polako: I thought I'd tried your suggestion before but I must have been mistaken. I gave it a go & icon appeared on my PlayBook. Yeah!

But it did NOT scale down to 86x86. It stayed at 114x114. Below is a screenshot of my PlayBook screen with the bigger 114x114 icon (Black 202f_2) next to four 86x86 icons on either side. The middle icon is noticably bigger. The difference is small, but I'm kind of an obsessive perfectionist :smileyhappy:

iconSizes.png

I don't know if this slight size difference matters for getting the app accepted or rejected. But I always like to get details right.

Note that I packaged the app using the PlayBook SDK (2.1.0) for AIR. I've also tried packaging the app with the same 114x114 icon with the BB10 AIR SDK. I could package everything into a BAR file and sign it. But when I tried to install the bar file on my PlayBook, I got an error message:

821 Application-Requires-System: unrecognized system name 'BB10'

Polako, did you do anything special to get the icon to resize?

I guess I COULD submit it with the slightly bigger icon and just forget about it. But I'd like to see if I can get it exactly right.

Jtegen: Thank also! If I understand you, you're saying I do the following:

Create a bar file with a 114x114 icon

Create a second bar file with a 86x86 icon.

When I submit my app to BlackBerry App World and get to where I submit my 'File Bundles', I should upload both bars. Have I got this right?

Presumably, PlayBook users will only see the one with the 86x86 icon and BB10 users will see the bar with the 11x114 icon.

If so, is this considered a legimate/preferred way of handling this issue?

Thanks for your help!

Damian

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

If you do two different bar files:
1) Set version for app
2) Build bar file for BB10 with 114 icons
3) Increment builder number
4) Build bar file for PlayBook with 86 icon
5) Upload bar file for BB10 as 1 package
6) Then upload bar file for PlayBook as another package

I would do it as different packages since it is more likely that the BB10 package will be done before the PlayBook package. If you have them both, not certain if one will hold up the other. But then again, I've never tried doing both at the same time because I have to change splash screens too, and all that takes a little time.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
scienceHal

Thanks again Jetegen! This helps.

A few quick questions:

I'm guessing I can upload both packages so they're two part of the same app. Yes?

i.e. I can upload both bar files at the same time to the vendor portal.

Also, the end user will only ever 'see' one app - if they're on a PlayBook, they'll see the PB version (86x86 icon).

And when they're on a BB10 device they'll see the BB10 version (114x114). Yes?

So, if someone has a PlayBook and a BB10, they can pay once and download both apps onto their respective devices.

If so, then this would totally achieve what I want.

Cheers,

Damian.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

I would do it in two steps. Each bar file gets specified to the correct device and min version of the OS. When you specify the correct device and min OS for the specified BAR file, then that device will only get that BAR file.

Purchases are tied to the app and the user's BBID. They will only pay once. You would have to create a new product in the vendor portal (with a different app id), to make them pay twice.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
scienceHal

Jtegen, I see. Thanks! This solves my problem.

Please use plain text.