Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
desertfox
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Fido

Install simulator in another computer? Could VM change from NAT to bridge mode?

I don't like the way to install simulator in same computer for develop apps (I'm using a Mac). Is it possible to install simulator in another computer? As I see the simulator simply a virtual device only to connect through network to the develop computer.

The problem though, by default the Playbook VM using NAT instead of bridge/DHCP, so it make a little trouble to connect if install in a separate computer. Is it possible to change to bridge mode so it could use a reachable IP instead of 192.168.20.x?

If couldn't, I may have to test whether it can be reached if I add addtional network IP in develop computer.

Thanks,

George

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Install simulator in another computer? Could VM change from NAT to bridge mode?

hey desertfox,

welcome to the forums!

Bridging in VMware is very much possible and others here have done it successfully. As long as the firewall on the other machine allows it, you can bridge the connection and get an actual IP from the router and then use that to debug. Good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
New Developer
desertfox
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Install simulator in another computer? Could VM change from NAT to bridge mode?

Thanks JRab,

Actually I tried VMware in Mac to use bridging. It didn't work immediately but some time later (may after some minutes) the simulator retrived the new IP address from DHCP.

Though I'm not sure whether VMware player for Windows can do that. As I also tested in Linux, the Playbook VM in Linux those settings seems read-only. I would try later.

Please use plain text.
Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

desertfox wrote:

Thanks JRab,

Actually I tried VMware in Mac to use bridging. It didn't work immediately but some time later (may after some minutes) the simulator retrived the new IP address from DHCP.

Though I'm not sure whether VMware player for Windows can do that. As I also tested in Linux, the Playbook VM in Linux those settings seems read-only. I would try later.

I have been using bridged connection on Ubuntu..works pretty good. On windows its a bit tricky.. you need to CTRL-Rt click both the VMWare's network connection and the your physical networks connection to create the bridge. I have done that long long ago to create bridge connections in vmware..but not with Playbook sim.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Just thought I'd weigh in: I use vmware on my pc and flashbuilder on my Mac. Set up sim in bridge mode and debug apps from flashbuilder straight to sim. Works great and doesn't bog down either machine.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Similar setup here as tags.

I run an Ubuntu system with Flash Builder running in a Windows XP VM using VirtualBox, and then a bridged VMWare Simulator.

Wasn't too impressed with the way they've distributed the simulator in the new SDK, but I suppose that it's easier for others to get it going.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.