Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
d3v3l0p3r
My Device: Q5, Q10, Z10, Z30, PlayBook
My Carrier: Carrier
Accepted Solution

Installing SDK on Windows 8

Has anyone managed to install 2.0.x Air SDK on Windows 8 machine? I installed Flash Builder 4.6 fine but when I go to install SDK in the screen where it asks if it should integrate with Flash Builder it does not allow me to type any other path than under c:\users ... i.e. when i type c:\program files (x86)\Adobe\Flash Builder etc it says it is invalid path. I am tunning the installer as admin and i tried both GUI and command prompt options.

---
If you find my post helpful please "like" it and "accept as a solution"
Please use plain text.
Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Installing SDK on Windows 8

My brief tinkering with Windows 8 thus far indicates that it is still a ways off from being stable... hopefully someone does have some luck/info for you... but I wouldn't expect too much "official" support for a "beta" OS.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Please use plain text.
Developer
d3v3l0p3r

Well, everything seems to  be working fine so far ... except AIR  SDK install ;-)

Hoping someone managed to pass through that step. I wonder if there is manual integration option possible - i.e. i will select not to integrate with Flash Builder during install and then manually integrate later?

---
Please use plain text.
Developer
d3v3l0p3r

[ Edited ]

I finally solved the problem (!!) ... 

Posting the "workaround" for anyone who may want to install AIR SDK into Flash Builder 4.6 under Windows 8. Not sure if this is Windows 8 Release Preview issue and will be fixed in final Windows 8 or design change which is here to stay.

It appears AIR SDK installer runs as a Java application. It also appears in Windows 8 the Java runtime is now sandboxed to C:\Users\<User> directory (and below).  So when the installer gets to the part where it asks where Flash Builder is installed it does not allow you to change to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6 etc directory. 

I did the following:

1. I exited Adobe Flash Builder application

2. Moved (not copied) the Flash Builder in Windows explorer from C:\program files (x86)\adobe\adobe flash builder 4.6 to c:\users\joe\adobe flash builder 4.6

3. Ran the SDK installer. This time i was able to point to the Flash Builder under c:\users and it integrated fine. Gave me a warning at the end that plugin was not able to be updated. Copied those directions (how to update plugin) to notepad

4. After SDK installer finished copied (moved) the Flash Builder 4.6 folder from the c:\users directory back to c:\program files (x86) where it was originally installed.

5. Ran Flash bulder and followed the copied instructions how to update the plugin

ta-da ... its working fine!

BTW - I really hope RIM stops using Java for the installers as this is a pain...

---
Please use plain text.