Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Reply
Developer
Posts: 119
Registered: ‎03-10-2010
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Interesting: Core application built with Air

I was watching the Introduction to Adobe Air for Mobile (http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2010-develop/introduction-to-adobe-air-for-mobile/) and during its introduction (first 4 minutes) it is said that Playbook applications like Calendar, Photo, Chat, etc... are all Air application.

 

I don't know if it is something new for you guys, but it is for me. It might give a clue how the integration with 3rd party apps will work... 

 

Regards

 

 



(*) Kudo-me if you really think I helped you!
My plug: I'm doing a Mobile Experiment, reported on my Blog: Check it out!.
---------------------------
Paulo Garcia
http://www.mobilecreators.com - Twitter: http://twitter.com/mobilecreators
Developer
Posts: 157
Registered: ‎12-16-2010
My Device: Torch 9800, PlayBook
My Carrier: I carry it myself

Re: Interesting: Core application built with Air

[ Edited ]

Yes, when  i attended Meet the PlayBook event a week ago thats what was said by one of the speakers and it was quite a surprise to me. I am curious as to performance impact. I guess thats what the two core-cpu is there for ... ;-)

----------
If you find this post helpful please "like" it and accept as a solution.
Developer
Posts: 6,473
Registered: ‎12-08-2010
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Interesting: Core application built with Air

 


pedgarcia wrote:

I was watching the Introduction to Adobe Air for Mobile (http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2010-develop/introduction-to-adobe-air-for-mobile/) and during its introduction (first 4 minutes) it is said that Playbook applications like Calendar, Photo, Chat, etc... are all Air application.

 

I don't know if it is something new for you guys, but it is for me. It might give a clue how the integration with 3rd party apps will work... 


The main view that you see, with the system menus and the icons for launching all your apps, plus the area where the minimized app windows are shown, are also one or more AIR apps.

 

 

In fact, I don't believe there is any part of the UI yet that is not built with AIR.

 


Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Regular Contributor
Posts: 66
Registered: ‎11-13-2010
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Interesting: Core application built with Air

In the demos, the video player plays the full HD video in the background at full framerates --- because it is really like 1% AIR apps calling the other 99% in c/c++ extensions.  Read the last comment from RIM's staff.

 

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Bug-NativeApplication-nativeAppli...

 

QNX mainly uses AIR/Flash as a windows manager.

Developer
Posts: 6,473
Registered: ‎12-08-2010
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Interesting: Core application built with Air

[ Edited ]

@janetsa, it's of course true that the video stuff is done with C code... in fact very likely there are inner loops written in hand-optimized assembly.  That's rather typical for video, even including video played within Flash apps.

 

My point refers not to things that might be seen in demos, about which we have little information -- even whether any particular one will even be in the final product.  It refers to what we can see in the simulator, right now, which consists (I believe) solely of AIR apps.

 

Now, naturally even things written in ActionScript called upon native routines for much of the work... such is the nature of scripting languages built on top of virtual machines.  The nice thing is that you get to call on all that power without having to deal with most of its problems.  So, nobody is claiming there isn't native code executing there... nor that there will not be lots of it in the power-hungry parts of the final product.  Just that right now AIR has a rather significant role and, even at launch time, that will continue.

 

[Edit: added missing "not" in second last sentence.]


Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Regular Contributor
Posts: 66
Registered: ‎11-13-2010
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Interesting: Core application built with Air

Some guy who attended the Meet the Playbook event blogged about the c/c++ extensions:

 

http://egnaro.com/post.cfm/meet-the-playbook