Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
Paratheo
My Device: Z30

Introducing the QNX-Component-Project. Use QNX Components in your Flex Mobile project today!

Hello Developer Support Forums members,

I have decided to start a GitHub repository entitled QNX-Component-Project. This is an open sourced project aimed towards gathering a collection of QNX component replicas for use in Flex Mobile projects in Flash Builder. These 'replicas' are made either through the use of skins or custom components.

Why would we need 'replicas' of QNX components? Well for those of us who prefer to develop Flex Mobile projects, rather than ActionScript Mobile projects, we are unable to make use of the prepackaged components that come with the BB10 and Playbook SDK. They simply do not work in mxml. It is also for the few who want to incorporate these components into projects for use with other devices as well. A project with real QNX components cannot be ported for other devices without first removing these real components. However, as I am sure many of my fellow Flex mobile developers have done, I have used skins and custom components to replicate the look of some the QNX components that I have been unable to make use of.

When developing for either the playbook or BB10, as developers many of us want to create applications that look and feel like an application built for their respective devices. This is especially true with BB10, which makes use of a unique naviagation structure. This can be read about in the UI guidelines, here:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/41577/

For the meantime, Flex mobile developers have no way of implementing such a native look into their applications. This is why the QNX-Component-Project exists.

What can you do to help? If you have previously made, or configured a component to look like a QNX component for use in a project and would like to share your creation with others so that they too may make use of it, start by uploading it to the QNX-Component-Project repository on Github. If in the future you plan on creating a QNX component look-alike, upload it to to the repository. The link to the repo can be found below.

If you want to make use of one of these community components, you can visit this repository and browse and download the source code for the component of your choice.

The repo will be accepting all replica components, however close they look to the actual components. This is so that a user browsing the repository can pick and choose from many choices, to find the one that suits his or her project best. The component simply has to function, and look somewhat or very much like an existing QNX component found in either the Playbook or BB10 air sdk. Do not hesitate to upload your component because it doesnt look exactly like it's real counterpart. The aim is to build a collection.

Obviously this project is brand new, and I have started by uploading one of my own custom components, built to resemble a QNX SegmentedControl. You will find it in the 'skins' folder of the repo, with an accompanying readme file which explains how to make use of the component and implement it into your project. This is the format that all components uploaded to the repo will follow. There must be an accompanying readme for your component.

I sincerely hope this project is a succes. I am sure it will become of benefit to many many flex mobile developers out there who want to develop for the BB platform, and for porting their apps to other devices. My contact info as well as the URL for the QNX-Component-Project repository can be found below. For anyone wanting to help make this project a success and can lend your hand on publicating a Wiki for the repo etc, please contact me. I must also give credit where credit is due, and say that dev forums user Innovatology inspired this project.

Thank you,

Theodore Mavrakis

Developer at Domisy Dev

tjmavrakis@live.com

@flaminSaganaki

Respository

https://github.com/flaminSaganaki/QNX-Component-Project

Please use plain text.