Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
apman
My Device: Not Specified

Invoked Settings view doesn't return to client app

I'm using the invoke framework to allow users to jump straight into settings and make some changes, but I can't seem to open it as a viewer:  the back button in the invoked settings page doesn't bring the user back to my app - it only closes the specific page and reveals the Settings menu, as if the app had been invoked normally from the home screen. Users then have to navigate back to my minimized app, which makes the convenience of the whole feature pretty minimal (users will almost certainly be wondering anyway, why I can't just change the setting for them, instead of presenting them with the appropriate settings page to do it themselves).

Am I doing something wrong?

var request:InvokeRequest = new InvokeRequest();
request.mimeType = "settings/view";
request.target = "sys.settings.target";
request.action = "bb.action.VIEW";
request.uri = "settings://notification";
InvokeManager.invokeManager.invoke( request );

( I tried a few alternatives to the target on the off-chance, like "sys.settings.viewer", "sys.settings.viewer.nav", "sys.settings.viewer.target", "sys.settings.target.viewer", and switching the action to OPEN, but no luck.)

My app : Get set - Get up!   Get ready for the snooze revolution.

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: Invoked Settings view doesn't return to client app

The quick answer in why an app cannot change the settings themselves is security.

Invocation will be evolving for a little bit. Might want to submit a bug/feature request for this.
Developer
apman

I can see the security issue, for sure.

But that it's not returning to the app that invoked it, you think that's a bug?

May be I'll give it a day or two and see if any of the RIM guys want to chime in, before submit it to the issue tracker ...

Developer
jtegen

I would not say a bug, but more of a feature oversight. So much happended so quickly with the invocation, all the use cases have not been thought out all the way. For example, to invoke the calendar, it is a different input value for the start date (and different date/time format) depending on why you want to show the calendar composer.

I dont think they had enough time to really get the invocation methodology down consistently across the board.
Developer
apman

Hm, yes, 'inconsistent' is probably the right word - I noticed as I was playing around with all the things that I could possibly see some use for, that in each case I couldn't quite get it to do what I would really want, and in each one it was some different aspect that, following the logic of other invoked apps, I would have expected to work ...

But I guess you're right - the framework will gradually evolve & improve. (It's easy to forget that the people behind the API's are developers too, who struggle with the same kind of problems as I with my little app ... :-))

Developer
jtegen

Even with the whole interface to other apps. The PPS name/value pair is so non-standard (outside of QNX). Why they did not utilize JSON or even XML is really odd. The parsing of that information requires yet another parser to deal with.

Then in the JSON interface (guess you can do this in PPS too) have a revision number since these interface will change and it will make it a lot easier on the target if it could just look at what was given to know what attributes to pull out.
Developer
apman

Sorry to warm this up again ... I just wondered if anyone had found a solution yet to invoking Settings as a card (rather than launching the whole app)

In January jtegen suggested that I submit a feature request, but I didn't get round to it and have been a bit out of the loop, so I just thought I better double-check if the issue is still unsolved, before I submit it ...

I've tried using an InvokeViewerRequest instead of InvokeRequest, but as far as I can work out, that doesn't work at all (the code in my initial post at least opens up Settings, but doesn't return the user to the original calling app).

Thanks

Developer
jtegen

The target app defines if it can be a card or not. You need to make a feature request to have them add that information to their bar descriptor file.
Developer
apman

So I had submitted a feature request for this (https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-987) and last week I got the following message saying that it's fixed ...

rsperanza updated BBTEN-987:
----------------------------

Resolution: Fixed

The Settings app is now available to invoke as a card.  See what settings to use here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/documentation/device_platform/invocation/settings.html

So, does that mean that from the next OS update it will behave correctly, launching Settings as a card? (the documented invoke settings haven't actually changed and are exactly what I've been using all along) Or is this fix maybe already in the 10.0.10.85 update (which I can't get for my device)?

Could someone with 10.0.10.85 perhaps give it a try?

public static function invokeNotifications():void
{
	var request:InvokeRequest = new InvokeRequest();
	request.mimeType = "settings/view";    
	request.target = "sys.settings.target";
	request.action = InvokeAction.OPEN;     
	request.uri = "settings://notification";
	InvokeManager.invokeManager.invoke( request );
}

(If it is fixed this should open Settings *within* your caller app, so when you then press the back button it should return to the calling app (or when you minimize the Notifications screen after calling it, there should only be *one* active Frame, representing the calling app, not one for your app, one for Settings (unless Settings happened to be open before it was invoked))

Thanks a lot for any help or clarification

Anna

Developer
apman

Am I the only one who wants to invoke a Settings page?

Just wondering if anybody knows anything, got the same problem or could try the code in my previous post under the latest OS ...

Sorry, to nag - I just hate my app giving such a 'home cooked' experience when it comes to integration