Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
p3pp3r
My Carrier: I carry it myself
Accepted Solution

Is it at all possible to deploy app without WiFi??

I do fair amount of coding "on the go" (in train, airport, plane, etc) where not always have access to a wifi hotspot. Is there a way to deploy my app to the actual device (not the simulator) without wifi? For example connect via USB / DM and deploy that way? I have not been able to find any information as well as no relevant posts with definitive answers?

----------
If you find this post helpful please "like" it and accept as a solution.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Carrier: none

Re: Is it at all possible to deploy app without WiFi??

Assuming you don't have a copy of the .bar file yourself, and you want to download from App World, then unless you can tether your PlayBook to a cell phone, I believe the answer is no.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
p3pp3r

How would I deploy to the device when it is tethered? Use blackberry's public IP and deploy all the way over internet? Not sure if the PB is reachable that way... hmm

----------
Please use plain text.
Developer
streak81
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

When you connect your PB to your PC via USB, the Playbook installs a network driver on the PC with an address like this:

169.254.xxx.xxx

the driver on the PC points to the network address:

169.254.xxx.(xxx+1)

and chooses the PB USB IP address as the gateway so they can talk. 

You should be able to deploy to your PB over USB.  I use FB 4.5 to deploy and it works over WIFI and USB.  One problem is your IP address changes when you unplug the USB, so you have to reconfigure.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Carrier: none

@p3pp3r, you hadn't described yet the nature of the "deploying" you wanted to do.  I couldn't tell whether you were talking about installing an app from App World, or doing the equivalent of "blackberry-deploy".  Clearly, now, you want the latter and have a .bar file on your PC.  That makes it easy...

When you connect to a Windows computer via USB, you get a network connection between the two.  Basically the PlayBook acts as a DHCP server and assigns an address to the network interface created by the driver on the PC side.  At that point, you just find out the PlayBook's address (select the Development Mode icon in the system tray to see it) and use blackberry-deploy the usual way.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
p3pp3r

@peter9477 and @streak81

thank you to both for this information - i overlooked that fact. I will give it a try! Sorry for not being clear in the description of the question! ;-)

----------
Please use plain text.