Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none
Accepted Solution

Is it okay to post info discovered while exploring simulator?

I'm arriving late to the game (but catching up, I hope) so I may have missed this in earlier posts, or perhaps in some fine print I "skimmed".

Is it okay to post information discovered, for example, while exploring the simulator?  I've been poking through the filesystem, for example, to see what I can learn, and there are some neat things to be found there.

Certainly nothing found this way and written by someone unofficial can be relied on, but some of this information may be helpful to others in understanding the (current) PB architecture, available or possible features, and so on.

As one example, there's a /usr/fonts/font_repository folder with a bunch of different TTF fonts in it, well beyond the obvious BB Alpha Sans and BB Global Sans.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
taylortbb
My Device: Bold 9900 + PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Is it okay to post info discovered while exploring simulator?

I've made mentions here of my explorations of the simulator and never had any problems. I posted about how to (using the shell) activate the Samba server, and how to mount USB mass storage devices. I've avoided posting a how to on rooting your simulator though, I figure that probably wouldn't be okay.
--------
Taylor Byrnes
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

hey peter,

i dont see a problem in posting about new findings and hidden features that other people may not have found. in fact its probably very helpful! it could lead to more efficient coding and new ways to do things in producing our apps. The only thing is though we should keep it to one "Master Thread" just so we dont push other threads involving user questions and solutions down too far into other pages. other than that its sounds like a great idea :smileyhappy:

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I agree.  Maybe a thread called "Hidden treasures of the PB OS"??

Please use plain text.
New Developer
ryantan
My Device: Not Specified

One possible way to go is to post summarized info/solution in the thread with links to the original thread. Then new developers wouldn't have to read through the whole forum to benefit from all the great discussions here.

It also provides for the fact that sometimes threads go off-topic and end up with unintended solutions that are probably unrelated to the original thread title. These nuggets of info may be extremely had to find a few weeks after the post.

oh yea and sticky it.

cheers,
Ryan
Please use plain text.
Developer
Harry_Dodgson
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Hi,

While exploring the browse() function, I found how to add more thumbnails (requires a simulator restart) as well as more wallpapers.  I replaced the default 'green slime' background with something more interesting by overwriting the file it reads.  This will all likely change from simulation to hardware, I hope.  The thumbnails are numbered (1.jpg - 4.jpg) according to the date order the wallpapers are stored.  So I added 6 more wallpapers (with useful names) and thumbnails 5.jpg-10.jpg.  I also found the thumbnails are 144x84 (the proper aspect ratio), not what is shown in the dialog.

Harry

--------------
Accepted PlayBook Applications: Marmi-doos, BASIC, Run and Hide
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

As a followup, after actually reading through much of the SDK license agreement (which most or all of us accepted when installing the SDK), I note that section "12. Confidentiality" applies fairly broadly to the sort of information I was thinking of posting, so I'm not going to start a "Hidden secrets" thread for now.

Suffice to say that everything I learned came as the result of running "nmap" against the simulator, then taking fairly obvious steps along with some reading about QNX.  Much of the same info could also be learned just browsing files with a filesystem explorer app in the simulator.

I expect as new releases come out and we see what they document or start to hide, it will be more obvious which types of detail don't need to be kept quiet.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.