Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
My Device: *
My Carrier: *

Re: It's OFFICIAL. Adobe AIR support dropped from 10.3.1.

Can someone answer that simple question - WHY?

Why do you remove support completely?

You could stop releasing new versions of AIR.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook 2.0
My Carrier: AT&T

Why does BlackBerry not just only kill the AIR SDK but let the Air runtime installed on devices? Why do they still have it on the old PlayBook but remove it on BlackBerry 10? Does not make any sense to me...

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

ZwickTheGreat wrote:

Can someone answer that simple question - WHY?

Why do you remove support completely?

You could stop releasing new versions of AIR.

I know many of you are looking for the details on the "WHY" aspect of things.  Unfortunately we're not able to share with you the confidential nitty-gritty details of business contracts between BlackBerry and Adobe on distribution rights for the Adobe AIR Runtime.

I understand that leaves you looking for answers, but we unfortunately are not able to share the details.  

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

[ Edited ]

tneil wrote:

I know many of you are looking for the details on the "WHY" aspect of things.  Unfortunately we're not able to share with you the confidential nitty-gritty details of business contracts between BlackBerry and Adobe on distribution rights for the Adobe AIR Runtime.

I understand that leaves you looking for answers, but we unfortunately are not able to share the details.  

Uhm yes, you told us to come here if we have questions.  Stating the obvious does not address it.  Like everyone here, I paid my share (30%) of app sales so you can cover API licensing.  If you can't even do that (let alone be honest with us) then everyone should be planning an exit strategy.  Mine has been loud and involved converting away many BBRY companes.  After all if we aren't worth being honest with, then who is?

Retired

KermEd wrote:

tneil wrote:

Uhm yes, you told us to come here if we have questions.  Stating the obvious does not address it.  Like everyone here, I paid my share (30%) of app sales so you can cover API licensing.  If you can't even do that (let alone be honest with us) then everyone should be planning an exit strategy.  Mine has been loud and involved converting away many BBRY companes.  After all if we aren't worth being honest with, then who is?

Hi KermEd,

There is no one being dishonest here. I honestly/legally cannot give out confidential information around licensing contracts between BlackBerry and Adobe.  I hope you can understand that.

There was no path forward of continuing with AIR on BlackBerry 10.  We are doing everything we can to help those who wish to continue to develop for BlackBerry 10 with migration paths for their applications.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

tneil wrote:

We are doing everything we can to help those who wish to continue to develop for BlackBerry 10 with migration paths for their applications.

Tim, as part of "doing everything we can to help", could you please assign someone at BlackBerry to chase down a final resolution on the concerns voiced here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Adobe-AIR-Development/Any-way-to-migrate-user-data-from-AIR-t...

Thanks!

Retired

Let me track someone down and see if we can get you an answer

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: Telcel

Reading between lines... Let's face it. Flash/AIR biggest enemy is Adobe itself. 

Developer
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

[ Edited ]

tneil wrote:

Let me track someone down and see if we can get you an answer

Hi Tim,

It seems like no one from BlackBerry stepped in to assist on that thread over the last 4 weeks.

Reminder link: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Adobe-AIR-Development/Any-way-to-migrate-user-data-from-AIR-t...

... Or this one:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/Can-t-read-shared-folders-and-fi...

... Or this one:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Adobe-AIR-Development/concern-about-segurity-for-Android-Air-...

... Or this one:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Adobe-AIR-Development/flashdevelop-without-air-com/td-p/28751...

... whew... Or this one:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Adobe-AIR-Development/APK-to-BAR-Conversion-In-App-Purchasing...

And these are just from the first page.  Considering this change is initated by BlackBerry at the expense of developers, I find the support from BlackBerry on here very... interesting.

Retired

Thanks for bringing them up.. I talked to our internal teams and there should be some replies to those threads now.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter