Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
osus
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: It's OFFICIAL. Adobe AIR support dropped from 10.3.1.

Are you kidding Mark?

Apps using BB10 Air SDK can't be ported!

BfB apps can't be ported.
Apps with BB10 look&feel can't be ported.

My apps for Playbook: PlayEpub Book Reader with epub and FB2 support, Google Reader, ReaditLater - Net Files Share Explorer Get access to your network shared files- FFSync Sync your Firefox bookmarks and passwords
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ZwickTheGreat
My Device: *
My Carrier: *

[ Edited ]

This is bad decision. Poor thing that even blackberry is jumping on that HTML5 hype wagon.

I've downloaded AIR SDK last week to port my game. Now I'm dissapointed and I'm not sure if I should continue in porting. Isn't it waste of time?

What about performance? Is it same/worse/better?
What about native extensions?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

MSohm wrote:

As long as you aren't using any BlackBerry specific AIR APIs, this shouldn't require any code change. 

... which renders it virtually useless. Of course we use BB-specific AIR API's.

This puts a huge dent in my faith in BB. You simply can't offer a development platform one minute, have developers invest time and money in codebases, only to have the rug pulled out from under their feet.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

MSohm wrote:

Note that you can repackage your AIR application using the AIR Captive Runtime for Android, which will be supported on BlackBerry 10.3.1.  As long as you aren't using any BlackBerry specific AIR APIs, this shouldn't require any code change.

Unfortunately the in-app purchase APIs are kindof critical to the profitability of my apps...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

I posted my thoughts on the matter just three weeks ago:

An Open Letter to Adobe (and BlackBerry)

Garry Paluk posted this open letter about HTML5 and Flash/AIR:

http://plugin.io/open-letter-to-adobe/

The same letter could be sent to BlackBerry. A perfectly good technology (AIR) is being killed due to marketing hype of a partially overlapping technology (HTML5).

I do not wish to start the whole Flash vs HTML5 debate again. Don't get me wrong, HTML5 is great for some use cases. In my opinon, AIR is often the best choice for many other use cases. Or Native might be the best way to go. It depends on the app, the team, the target. We have used all three (and more) extensively on many different platforms.

I realize that BB is in a state of flux at the moment but with the refocus on enterprise, AIR (and especially Flex) is becoming important again. Years after we were led to believe HTML5 was going to replace AIR, there are still many, many things HTML can't do that AIR can. And vice versa. So we need to choose the right technology for each particular job.

BlackBerry was once on the cutting edge of AIR support, but attention seems to have dwindled. Besides HTML5 the platform has two other very powerful cross-platform toolchains (AIR and Qt) that are not getting the TLC they deserve.

Remember, BlackBerry, that thousands of large corporations use AIR/Flex for their internal LOB systems and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. The fruit is there for the picking. Is BlackBerry up to the challenge?

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

MSohm wrote:

Note that you can repackage your AIR application using the AIR Captive Runtime for Android, which will be supported on BlackBerry 10.3.1.  As long as you aren't using any BlackBerry specific AIR APIs, this shouldn't require any code change.

THIS.

This is actually a good thing from my perspective:
1. I no longer have to have iOS, Android and BB10 builds, I can now consolidate BB10 and Android as one, this will save me a lot of testing time.

2. The BB10 AIR Runtime was a a complete mess, full of show-stopping bugs. GPU Render Mode was totally unstable, working with TextInput fields caused complete lockups, and there was a ton of hacks needed to sidestep these issues. It will be nice to run in the Android Runtime, where things are stable, and mature.

3. I didn't use many QNX API's anyways, so it's minor to rip them out. 

I do have some questions though, about how the Android Runtime will work:

1. If I use a native extension for Android, like social-sharing, to share Facebook/Twitter, will it work? (eg: GoViral)

2. Will Android Ad-SDK's like AdColony, Vungle, or Everyplay work on BB10?

3. How are we supposed to implement IAP's?

4. Will CameraRoll, saveToCameraRoll and all that, continue to work?

5. Will my apps have as much exposure as normal BB10 Apps? Is it transparent tot he user that it is an Android app? 

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
jdreher
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Thanks for dropping by the forums shawnblais!

Within the BlackBerry Runtime for Android apps, Native extensions (JNI) are supported as of BlackBerry 10.2.1, which is actually how the AIR captive runtime is able to function on our platform when you include it within your APK file.

With respect to social sharing APIs and advertisement SDKs, while we certainly recommend testing your app and leveraging our forums to see how other developers are using specific technologies, you'll notice that many Android apps which have been repackaged for BlackBerry 10 already make use of these offerings (like AdMob for example) without issue. In-app payment (for Android developers) is supported when using the standard In-app Billing library v2, or lower, as documented at: 

https://developer.blackberry.com/android/apisupport/apisupport_inapp_payments_support.html

As far as Camera specific APIs are concerned, while again suggesting testing them out first, they shouldn't pose an issue as the translation layer from AIR to Android occurring at compilation time, will be translated to BlackBerry 10 via our BlackBerry Runtime for Android apps.

And finally, your app will receive the same level of exposure as other apps within the BlackBerry World storefront, regardless of your development platform of choice. The only issue to note is that Android applications are not currently eligible for the Built For BlackBerry designation.

Let us know how things go and don’t be afraid to start another thread if you happen to run into any issues moving forward.

James Dreher
BlackBerry Development Advisor
Please use plain text.
Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the quick response, and for having all the answers I wanted to hear :smileyhappy:

Great, this is a good pragmatic move. It's a bummer for Apps which made heavy use of the QNX API's, but at least we can now work with the latest runtimes and have more stable performance.

It's very cool that you do support IAP's using Android SDK v2, but that may be an issue for us as most native extensions have upgraded internally to V3. Oh well, nothing is perfect I suppose... 

I will test my suite of apps and let you know if I run into any issues!

Is there an ETA on 10.3 that we can schedule against? 
Cheers,

Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

shawnblais wrote:

Is there an ETA on 10.3 that we can schedule against? 
Cheers,

An ETA would be a good thing to have.  A very, very good thing.

Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

[ Edited ]

Ebscer wrote:

Really did not see this coming. I knew that they had stopped work on AIR, but I really didn't think that they would break all existing apps...

+1

It would be good to get a compelling technical explanation from BlackBerry as to why the existing runtime and dependent apps could not just be left in a legacy state in future BB10 releases.  Does it take up too much storage space?

Given that devs get the blame for everything, you can be sure that some AIR devs who don't have the time/etc. resources to "migrate" to the other dev platforms are going be getting support emails and/or reviews that say "this guy is a scammer!",  "I got ripped off!", etc.  This is *going* to happen, no matter how proactively they try to communicate with their users.  There is a class of user out there whose default assumption is that all devs are evil and greedy.

AIR devs who don't "migrate" on BlackBerry's timetable are going to get sprayed with bile.  You can count on it.

Please use plain text.