Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
MSanghvi
My Device: Not Specified

Java in Playbook

hi

i want to know whether  Java is supported or not in Playbook.

i heard somewhere that application devlope in JAVA BlackBerry OS 6 is run on playbook.

is it right or not.

Any decision of wheater java is supported or not?

Please use plain text.
Developer
ashish117
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Java in Playbook

Yes, applications developed for the BB smartphones will work on the PlayBook

Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Java support will be added, but probably not in time to qualify for the PlayBook offer.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

At the moment, Java apps for BlackBerry OS 6 do not run on the PlayBook, despite the previous answer that suggests they do.

Also, although some RIM employees have stated that there definitely will be a Java SDK, the PlayBook product manager (Ryan Bidan) made a statement in one of the CES videos which suggests the possibility that they don't consider that to be a promise.  I believe his words were, in response to a question about possible ways of developing, that they "may even do Java" (not a direct quote).

In the same interview, he referred to the native SDK (C++/C) as being something they'd make available to "select partners", which those of us here interpret as meaning not necessarily for all of us.

The point is, until we hear more officially, don't count on anything more than what you see now...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
p3pp3r
My Device: Torch 9800, PlayBook
My Carrier: I carry it myself

At the "meet the playbook" event I attended it was clearly stated there will be java sdk / webworks support (it was in the slides on the projector) but it was also stated that "everything is subject to change" so either may be true :smileyhappy:
----------
If you find this post helpful please "like" it and accept as a solution.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

@p3pp3r, the Java support is even listed in a "PlayBook specs" PDF you can download from blackberry.com, which should give it a fairly certain status.

Unfortunately, as we've already heard from Ryan Bidan, the native SDK will be only for "select partners", so one has to be a bit suspicious about anything we don't see with our own eyes or hear as an official announcement. 

As you say, everything is subject to change...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.