Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Linking to Apps from within an App

@HybridMind, why not set up a web page to which your app redirects when you want to show them your list of products? The app would be designed to navigateToURL() to your page at 'http://yourserver/playbook-apps' (or whatever). On that page, you create a list of your apps and build links to them using "appworld://content/NNNN" as the URL. When viewed from within the PlayBook's own browser, those should trigger the App World app to open at the appropriate app.

This way you can maintain the list external to your app, so you can update it whenever you like.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
HybridMind
My Device: PlayBook Developer

That is a pretty cool idea.  I guess for some reason I was just assuming that that link style wouldn't work in the browser but that was rather silly of me.  It would be a hidden url too so search engines/non-tablets wouldn't find it.  I will have to do that.  I ended up just building a little menu in-game for now but maybe I'll change that out.

Please use plain text.
Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Better yet, use stageWebView to display the external page directly in your app... 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
moseslecce
My Device: Torch 9800

But if you use StageWebView can they install your app from that web view?  I believe this is why we would want to launch appworld with our app there for ease of use to the user.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

@moseslecce, he means the server-hosted list of your apps would be displayed in your app using a web view. Then when the user clicks on the appworld:// links to individual apps, that would let you launch the App World app directly, so the Browser wouldn't come into it. It's probably nicer from a user experience point of view, and lets you control the situation better.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
HybridMind

Using StageWebView did end up working quite nicely.  I like that I can update the html page at anytime now and all my games will always just point at the same URL so I don't have to worry about updating individual games when I add new ones.  Thanks for that tip!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
HybridMind

It appears that the StageWebView browser does not understand href links to "appworld://content/xxxx" 

It says "Error: The browser does not know how to handle the web page."

Unless there is some other way to format a tags for StageWebView to open those type of links in your html page this solution actually won't work.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tylorpin
My Device: playbook, torch 9810 and Alpha device!

Anybody found what is the link to directly direct user to the vendor's account instead of individual apps?

Please use plain text.