Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
Zymatic
My Device: Limited Edition Z10 & Blackberry Playbook

List of Technical requirements an application must meet

Hello all,

First things first I tried searching under 'submission requirements", " application requirements"  and a few other terms and came up short.

I've worked on software projects for other platforms (  Xbox 360, NIntendo DS, etc ) and have always been provided with a list of requirements that software must meet in order to be able to be released on these platforms.  I'm wondering if there is such a list for the Playbook or Blackberry devices in general.   Things that come to mind are displaying certain messages to user for low battery level, or air time usage.  I know those 2 examples have been discussed here somewhere but I've been unable to find those threads again.

Thanks

Playbook Apps:
Touch Painter, LinkShrink

BB10 Apps:
NoteToSelf , LinkShrink
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: List of Technical requirements an application must meet

The developer guide has a section on application life cycle management:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/24118/BlackBerry_Tablet_OS_SDK_for_Adobe_AIR-D...

and the vendor guidelines discuss requirements for App World, including alerting the user to possible airtime charges:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/isvportal/home/guidelines.seam

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

As an application, I would not put up an alert if the battery is low.  The system will begin to shut down unused application to hold off on battery life.

Aier time usage, yest, show an alert the first time the application is ever used.

There are not a lot of "requirements" for the PB.  They want the deverloper community to come up with some out of the box thinking instead of confining developers to a cloned set of similar applications.  If there is something "bad" about your application, the test group will let you know before your application will be approved.

Eventhough, there are no "requirements" their are somethings that are "traditional" on the PB, and even that is still evolving.  This includes:

• Some application bar along the top to access controls or menus of the app
  • Swipe down bezel to get to app menu or secondary controls
  • Page transtions by menu, button or screen swipe
  • Startup splash screen
  • Use of QNX controls (not a requirement, but guide for user interaction)
  • Make buttons, list items, etc, finger friendly.

I'm certain there are others that people will add.

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I did not know about this doc:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/isvportal/home/guidelines.seam

Their example has to show a warning on low battery (pg 9-10).  I disagree, but what the heck.  Having all the apps show an alert at the same time might be interesting.

will need to read more of it.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

John, is that the right link?  For me, it's a single page titled "BlackBerry App World™ Vendor Guidelines", not something with examples or 10 pages of text.  Sounds like you were reading a PDF somewhere.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
noahnu
My Device: Blackberry Tablet OS

[ Edited ]

It was in the first link in Uber's post:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/24118/BlackBerry_Tablet_OS_SDK_for_Adobe_AIR-D...

--

In the link it said:

Evaluate the new battery properties and respond as appropriate.
public function evaluate() 
{
if( bState == 3 || bLevel < 10 )
{   
// Save    state
displayWarning();
}
}

--

The bState and the bLevel would be set when the following events are fired:

qnx.events.DeviceBatteryEvent.LEVEL_CHANGE

qnx.events.DeviceBatteryEvent.STATE_CHANGE

From,
Noah NU
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Thanks Noah.  Looks like John pasted in the wrong one of those two links.

I read that doc, but I don't see it as really recommending that someone alert the user about low-battery.  It should have used much clearer and stronger language if this is considered a requirement for each app.

I expect the system will provide some indication of low battery.  If, in a given app, it seems appropriate to provide a more direct indication, maybe in an app which normally uses a lot of battery but which can switch itself into a reduced-consumption mode when battery gets too low, then I would do it.  Not just in any old app... that makes little sense to me.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

[ Edited ]

Totally agree w/John and Peter.  PlayBook's sales pitch is multitasking and you don't want to have to dismiss 20 alert dialogs from 20 concurrently running apps all telling you the battery is low.  That might give users a bad impression of "this whole multitasking thing".  Ya know?

Developer
Zymatic
My Device: Limited Edition Z10 & Blackberry Playbook

Thanks for all your responses.  Those links were a great help.  I think as far as the battery level is concerned, I agree about the warning message being overkill but handling the event and saving state transparently to the user would be a good idea.  That way they are not bombarded with multiple warnings but also are not frustrated by loss of work if the device happens to shut down.

Playbook Apps:
Touch Painter, LinkShrink

BB10 Apps:
NoteToSelf , LinkShrink
Developer
noahnu
My Device: Blackberry Tablet OS

[ Edited ]

It might not necessarily result in multiple warnings about the battery. Perhaps they meant to provide some kind of indication as long as your application was in an active state (activated not deactivated).

I also believe that if it doesn't already, the Playbook system should have some protection against mass dialogs. It might not be only from the battery, what if there are coindicintly many alert dialogs shown at the same time? It wouldn't contribute at all to the appearance and user friendly attributes that the Playbook will have.

From,
Noah NU