Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
Kai001
My Device: Not Specified

Local shared object Vs. Encrypted local store

Is there any advantage to the non-encrypted Local shared object? Otherwise why not use encrypted for just about everything? Or is there a signifigant performance drop?

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Local shared object Vs. Encrypted local store

Searching for the class name EncryptedLocalStore finds this thread with answers.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
Kai001

So I suppose this means that encrypting the data manually before storing it is unnessesary. Even for very sensitive information?

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

@Kai001, I don't think we can really say quite yet just what is necessary, since RIM has provided so little real documentation on that kind of thing.  I would say that "very sensitive" info (but that's a subjective term, of course) should be better protected, possibly by not even storing it in the device itself.  Or storing it but encrypted using a key that's only available using strong protection, at the least a good password and possibly some form of two-factor authentication.

There's been some hint that the tablet will support encryption for "all corporate data"... maybe something to do with the various "modes" RIM has briefly described. 

I doubt we'll know more until launch, or at least until a 1.0 SDK release just before launch.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
Kai001

Oh. So I suppose if I feel something is very sensitive, that I should manually encrypt it then.

New Developer
cookeit

I've used the encrypted sqllite db as part of my app which is a password storing app. IIRC that uses AES which should be secure enough for my purposes and the decryption password must be entered every time the app starts.

A wise man once told me if you've ever considered using your own encryption don't. Unless you're an expert whatever you come up with will be worse and easier to break than something which has had public scrutiny and thousands of hours of inspection.