Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER after a MOUSE_DOWN

That's basically what I'd envision.

That said, please don't do what I said without confirming it's actually better.  For one thing, "premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming" (said Knuth or something).  For another, I just did some repeat searching to find the main article I based all that on (something about CPU usage in flash apps) and couldn't find it, but I did find several articles stating the exact opposite: that MOUSE_MOVE is "less resource intensive" than ENTER_FRAME.  I don't actually believe those, but it's always possible... check for yourself please, as I have only a little knowledge in this area... a.k.a. a dangerous thing.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

I wrote above that I had read conflicting claims as to whether MOUSE_MOVE or ENTER_FRAME was better.

I'm sure it depends on the circumstances, but the code following shows that on the 0.9.3 simulator, on my machine, MOUSE_MOVE events are delivered at approximately 100 Hz (events per second).  The same code run on my host in ADL shows a rate of 125 Hz.  I think that means the individual platform limits the rate to some reasonable but probably undocumented value.  The PlayBook may give more or fewer events per second... we'll have to see.

The default ENTER_FRAME rate is 24 Hz, and you can make that slower in some cases.

So if you are already using ENTER_FRAME for other purposes, and don't need the high-speed stream of events that MOUSE_MOVE gets you, then definitely you should avoid it.

package {
    // don't use wildcard imports in real code!
    import flash.display.*;
    import flash.events.*;
    import flash.utils.*;

import qnx.ui.text.Label;

[SWF(backgroundColor="#cccccc")]
    public class EventRateTest extends Sprite {
        public function EventRateTest() {
            stage.align = StageAlign.TOP_LEFT;
            stage.scaleMode = StageScaleMode.NO_SCALE;

stage.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWN, onEvent);
            stage.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_MOVE, onMove);

label = new Label();
            label.width = 500;
            label.text = "count: ? rate: ?";
            addChild(label);
        }

private var label:Label;
        private var move_count:int;
        private var start_time:int = getTimer();

private function onMove(e:MouseEvent):void {
            move_count++;
            var rate:Number = move_count / (getTimer() - start_time) * 1000.0;
            label.text = "count: " + String(move_count) + " rate: " + rate.toFixed(3) + " Hz";
        }

private function onEvent(e:Event):void {
            move_count = 0;
            start_time = getTimer();
        }
    }
}

(The code basically displays move events per second, resetting the count and time whenever you click.)

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
EraserX
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for the investigation. I guess in my case, the traffics is between processing more mouse move events and having to run a hitTestPoint on 72 colored blocks at each frame. Anyways, for me, my color picker will probably only be opened by the user for like 2 seconds while they pick a color.
Please use plain text.
Developer
EraserX

*traffic --> tradeoff
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

I think in a case where I had a huge batch of square objects arranged in an array onscreen, I'd just listen on the parent and take the local coordinates and do the math (divide by size, etc, whatever) to convert them directly to array indices.  

Ignoring the possible-but-irrelevant one pixel errors at the borders between them, that would work and be a pretty low-overhead technique.  

Maybe not simpler than whatever alternative you've got... obviously you'll pick what works best for you overall.

Please use plain text.
Developer
EraserX

I think you're right. It would be more efficient to listen to their parent.
Please use plain text.