Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
T55555
My Device: Not Specified

Names ? ( application name, xml <name>, <filename> )

Hi,

There are many "names" and confuse me, also, is it possible to have different names?

( I already submitted an app, but I used different names on different location, is it ok ? )

They are:

<name> tag on your-project-app.xml

<filename> tag on your-project-app.xml

"application name" when submit application.

(1) "application name" when submit application is the one that should be unique on App-World ?

(2) <name> tag on your-project-app.xml is the one that will show on the Device below your application icon ?

(3) <filename> tag is just for bar file name, right ?

All are not related each other and can be different?

( ex. my application name is very very long, and I don't like see this long name on device below icon, so, I use short or acronym name for <name>,  is it ok ? )

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: Names ? ( application name, xml <name>, <filename> )

For "filename", I typically have the same name as the "name" tag, but without any spaces.

Please use plain text.
Developer
T55555

The reason I am asking, it is not only the size problem that I had ( application name very long  and will not looking good on device );

it is also, what happen, if your application name contents special character that is not allow as file name ... etc etc.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Applications should be short and meaningful.  Put on your marketing hat for the application name.  An application name of "MyAppThatDoesAlotOfInterestingThingsForThePlaybook" might be grab a potential user, but a name like "Xtivity" might.  I would simple avoid very long names, names with more than 3-4 words in it and names with non-ANSII characters.

Please use plain text.
Developer
T55555

Thank you for the suggestion. I definitely will take more care for my second app.

Unfortunately, my first app already submitted, so I don't like to resubmit again.

(it may delay approve by doing so)

Especially, the application name is already used long name to avoid duplication and not sure they allow you to change application name once submitted. ( maybe change name will consider new product ... )

BB is international, and I believe PlayBook will be international device too.

And I did see some international application used no English name ...

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

It is easy to change your application name in the vendor portal.  I've already had to do this once.

Please use plain text.