Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
HaTaX
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Native SDK for Playbook

Does sound a little like an advertisement, but if it actually allowing you to code for the PlayBook in native code, then that's definately worth mentioning!  I can't find too much information on how it is building and packaging for the PlayBook, but we'll see what I come across as I dig through it.

Have you built and deployed a PlayBook app using it?  Do you know if it is simply compiling an AIR app or if it is really native code?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
longway77
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

It's as native as it can be ;-)

Small introduction:

You'll be coding using Visual C++ which will be compiled as native arm code. This code will then be linked with the s3e library which is basically a native written API Wrapper for all lowlevel calls for every operating system.

The build process looks like this:

Write code, compile as ARM Code, then you may select as many of the platforms as you'd like to, like android iOS, etc... (Yes, iOS Development on Windows ;-)) and it's linking the libraries together and it creates a native installation package for every selected platform.

I've already packaged my game for the Playbook and it's working great. It's a jump and Run game. It's a little difficult at the moment concerning the signing, etc... but that will improve with the next versions. The programmers from the SDK usually do a very good job. I had to manually edit some files and sign it by hand, I'm not quite shure how it's supposed to work at the moment, but it worked for me.

_______ Check out_______
my Apps:
Tilebreaker X - One of the best Tilebreaker Games available for the Playbook ;-)
Tilebreaker X Free - The free version with about 10 levels.
Please use plain text.
Developer
HaTaX
My Device: Bold 9700

[ Edited ]

Wow, sounds very slick! I would love to take it for a test drive, but it appears the beta program is only available to those with an professional license. ($3500 a year)

While it would be nice to do all the development in one environment (I've got enough dev VMs to keep me busy for a few years, lol), I don't think I can justify the cost business wise just to gain access to native development on the PB. 

Maybe I could make some code contributions that would allow me access to the beta program, that would be workable for me. Not sure how they handle this, but I'll send a few emails off and see what they say, never hurts to ask!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
longway77
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Hey, no need to worry. It's not in the beta versions of Marmalade. The free version will already deploy for the playbook and will last 90 days, I think. And they even offer education licences, etc...

I'm currently considering their Apps program to get a free licence, if that does not work out, I think I might buy the basic licence first, and if my game is a success, the standard version.

_______ Check out_______
my Apps:
Tilebreaker X - One of the best Tilebreaker Games available for the Playbook ;-)
Tilebreaker X Free - The free version with about 10 levels.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sprewell
My Device: none
My Carrier: none

Hmm, they finally announced a closed beta for the NDK yesterday, "targeted at game developers." Good to see something is finally happening with the NDK, even if it's still only a select few who get in. I don't like that they're still not offering a GUI toolkit and focusing on games, but oh well, one can always install a third-party GUI toolkit with an OpenGL backend and use that instead.
Please use plain text.