Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PlayBook

Native SDK for Playbook

Just to let you know that RIM has anounced that Native Development Toolkit for Playbook will be available in Beta by the time of BlackBerry World Conference and demoed some of capabilities of it at GDC.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Native SDK for Playbook

[ Edited ]

Yea.  Will there be a different forum for the native/C++ API?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

FYI to everyone.  The BB conference is May 3-5 in Orlando, FL.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

ahhh very cool. thanks for the update Elena!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: Z10

Ooooh!  A C++ API.  Being hoping to dust off those skills on something fun.  So many options to play with.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Creator of the Idea Catch PlayBook application

My favorite Apple product is apple sauce.
Contributor
My Device: none
My Carrier: none

Will the native SDK have native runtime and GUI widget support or will it be like Android, where you're forced to use the Java runtime/GUI for that stuff? In other words, is the native SDK just a sop for devs with a few computationally-oriented, pre-written native libraries or will it allow developers to create fully native apps? I considered developing for Android until I saw that they don't allow fully native apps. While I'm intrigued by QNX and what RIM's trying to do with this tablet, if RIM pulls the same **bleep** as Google, I'm out and I suspect many other devs would be too. Forcing us to use Flash/HTML5 for significant parts of apps is a deal-killer.
Developer
My Device: Playbook

sprewell wrote:
if RIM pulls the same **bleep** as Google, I'm out and I suspect many other devs would be too. Forcing us to use Flash/HTML5 for significant parts of apps is a deal-killer.

That's the spirit...  welcome to the forum.

Seriously, though, at least try to help move the forum/community forward rather than making threats.  Most people who's first posts are like that usually don't stick around.  Who knows, maybe you are just venting.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Contributor

Perhaps they don't stick around because their concerns aren't addressed? I'm not here for some kumbayah "move the community forward," and I think it's a bit overblown to call my warning a threat, considering I'm not an established Blackberry developer threatening to pull my apps or whatever. Rather, I'm just an interested dev trying to get info on where RIM plans to go with this native SDK, that presumably others in the community would want to know also. Other than Apple, all the other mobile platforms seem to have fallen into a groupthink where they think they have the authority to force their devs to use their favorite VM language, whether Java, C#, or Javascript. I realize that RIM doesn't have the best reputation in this regard, with their forced Java SDK for Blackberry, but I'm hoping that position changes with this native SDK for QNX. If not, it's business as usual and the mobile wave now swamping RIM is likely to continue unabated, as RIM will have little other than QNX to differentiate Tablet OS.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

i don't quite follow you.  sure, iOS supports applications written in C++ / Objective-C, but it's a very closed platform.  it's not like you can really go doing any exploring on your own just because you are writing in a "native" language.

what's missing in Android's SDK that is would otherwise be available with C++?  is your primary concern speed?

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Contributor

TheDarkIn1978, and Tablet OS and Flash aren't closed platforms?  What would I be exploring iOS for?  I didn't say anything's missing in Android's Java SDK: missing APIs are not my concern, while they may be for other native devs.  Nor do I think speed is a huge issue, though the bloated VMs do have various disadvantages such as that.  My main issue is that I dislike the aforementioned VM languages and still prefer compiled languages (I particularly like an up-and-comer called D, would be great if RIM would support that).  Many devs look down in disdain on the verbosity of Java and all the known problems with javascript.  Native devs don't really have a mobile choice other than Apple right now, which is of course problematic for other reasons.  I suggest RIM think seriously about supporting such native devs, who're often the best devs on any platform, particularly since other mobile platforms seem intent on ignoring them, for some very silly reasons.