Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Trusted Contributor
bdaemon
My Device: dev alpha playbook 9500 8300
My Carrier: uc

Need you help ,"the soft keyboard doesn't pop."

anyone ( who have got the real playbook device):

as I konw , in simulate , "Swipe from Bottom Left Corner" can bring up the soft keyboard.

is it still avaliable for actual playbook device?

if it 's ture, it seems that little person known it .

here is my app .got so many poor reviews.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/reviews/27510

Would you  please download this free app ,and show this tips to others  by the review.

I know, these is not the proper way , but  I wouldn't want to risk to update my app ,before the real Playbook in my hand .

thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Need you help ,"the soft keyboard doesn't pop."

It's available in the real thing.

The problem is that most apps properly support having the keyboard popup automatically as soon as focus switches to a text input field, so new users have little reason to learn about that gesture.

You should either fix that, or release a new update with some clear "help" information displayed briefly at startup, to train users.

Using the method you describe is unlikely to help much, as I think few users will read all the reviews, or any of them, when downloading a free app.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mtthwcmpbll
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: n/a

I'm currently seeing similar behavior in my own app in development - I've got a <s:RichEditableText> control in a custom skinned component, and it seems to interact fine except the focus event doesn't seem to bring up the keyboard.  I've added an event as 

<s:RichEditableText enter="{trace('user hit the enter button!')}" focusIn="{trace('text input got focus!')}"/> and I see both messages in the console.  I've tried replacing the enter handler with {stage.focus = null} to dismiss the keyboard, but the blue focus box disappears without getting rid of the keyboard itself.  Peter, can you be more specific about what kind of things can cause this behavior and what one should be looking into to fix it?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mtthwcmpbll
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: n/a

And a quick test of replacing the RichEditableText with a plain old s:TextInput finds the keyboard behaves exactly as expected. Is anyone else using the RichEditableText with any success?
Please use plain text.