Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
AppStoreLover
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

No Native App SDK? Why LIMIT the potential of an amazing device?

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

I have never used a blackberry before. I found the PlayBook to be a very interesting device, that I would love to program for.

I am an iPad and iPhone app developer.. Would love to program for the PlayBook..

But, it is seriously disappointing that there is a sort of 'Emulation layer' between Apps and the device.

Apps <----> Adobe AIR <-----> OS <-----> Device

It is severly limiting and it honestly feels crippled to me.  :smileysad:

iPad apps run natively, and it's disappointing the PlayBook won't allow that. Is there an ETA for Native development SDK?

Please use plain text.
eno
Contributor
eno
My Device: Not Specified

Re: No Native App SDK? Why LIMIT the potential of an amazing device?

I have a specific app that I want to port to the new Tablet OS that uses some C/C++ libraries (there's no way around that Im afraid - its critical for the app). So I really need to know if its going to be possible to compile any native libraries - what will the C/C++ SDK conist of?

Will it be possible to have the Air runtime or JavaScript in WebKit talk to native C/C++ libraries?

Most other mobile platforms (Android, webOS, iOS) have the ability to build native C/C++ libraries and I think its going to be crucial for developers to port existing apps across to the Tablet OS.

Also any kind of timeline for release of these other SDKs.

Please use plain text.
Developer
studiochris
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™
My Carrier: .

Please use plain text.
Developer
haimez
My Device: 9650
My Carrier: VZW

Thanks for sharing the Alchemy link! I wouldn't have found out about that without your info.
Please use plain text.