Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
noahnu
My Device: Blackberry Tablet OS
Accepted Solution

No User Specific Apps?

Hello,

I read in the guidlines for the Playbook offer (or it may have been the Terms and Conditions) that the app can not be specific to a user and/or company. Does this include an app that requires a paid pre-existing service? For example a company that provides a service for a fee and then a Playbook app that when the user credentials are entered will allow the management of that user's account for the specific company?

From,
Noah NU
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: No User Specific Apps?

If you have a company proprietary application that is useless or inaccessible to the general public, then that is not allowed for the offer.  It has to be useful to the general public.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

From what you're describing it should be allowed. When submitting your app you have the option to pick whether it is a standalone app or whether the user will need to download software or subscribe to something elsewhere.

I don't see why RIM wouldn't let this apply, but I can't think of a general use case where this would apply either...

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

This only has to do with the free PB offer.  It does not help BB in saying that have X number of apps if a certain percentage are not accessible to the public to use.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JohnPinkerton
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)
My Carrier: Regional

John,

Wouldn't that still be available to the public? I understand what you're saying, but then also wouldn't any app that charges a fee be disqualified?

I took that stipulation as a scenario where:

Joe Smith wants Acme Company to build them an app to do a specific, proprietary purpose. Acme Company cannot submit that app to App World for the free PlayBook.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

But it probably would not be in App World since it is proprietary.  And even if it was, and you ("Joe Consumer"), downloaded it  and it asked you for a login and password, then it is useless.  Since I doubt the Acme company would provide a login to you.  It does not benefit BB to give free PB to people making proprietary solutions.  They want to expand their base with available apps to all, not apps that only certain people can use.

In terms of paid apps, Joe Consumer can still access it and use it if they pay for it.  They cannot use or even demo a proprietary solution.  And if I had a propritary app, I would not want the world to know about it, especially my competition.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JohnPinkerton
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)
My Carrier: Regional

Perfect explanation, thanks John!

Please use plain text.