Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
TopoMonkey
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

No more consumer market! Do we have to give up developing for Blackberry?

Hi, 

Is anyone else wondering if we should give up developing for blackberry? After the recent announcement that Blackberry will leave the consumer market, I am wondering what to do...

Next year, do people still buy our games? Are there any consumers with blackberry devices? 

Or is blackberry really dead on the consumer market and should we all switch to Android, iOS and Windows? 

I would really like to hear your opinion about this...

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

Re: No more consumer market! Do we have to give up developing for Blackberry?

I think any serious developer obviously should be thinking about it and whether they can get ROI on what may be less than 10m active handsets in the market and a few hundred K playbooks.

For games I think the sensible option is to develop to one of the portable SDK's rather than go native that way you put your effort in sell to other markets and if BlackBerry do well it's a bonus.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Not to fuel the file here but do you have a url for that announcement?

As for developing apps/games for BlackBerry I really see no difference than yesterday, last week, last month, last year, etc.

I'll continue to make apps on the platforms I choose such that I either develop for all platforms to ensure access to everyone or choose each platform on its strengths... but keeping in mind there are tradeoffs.

iOS may be a huge market but their market is saturated with so many apps it is very hard to get any exposure. Android seems better but piracy is rampant screen size fragmentation is insane, and there's an expectation of "your app will be free, right!?" that makes it hard to make a profit.

The way I see it is as long as there are BlackBerry users looking for apps and games I plan to develop for them... because I enjoy it, like the platform, and I'm a BlackBerry user myself!

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

@steve_web it's on every news blog and in BlackBerries own statement that they will be concentrating on the "prosumer" from now on with a reduction in devices from 6 to 4 for the future.

Look on CrackBerry it's one of the top stories at the moment.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

@steve_web Totally agree with the points you made BTW.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

... and I think you meant fire not file. ;-)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
TopoMonkey
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

[ Edited ]

Sure, here are some sources for this announcements: 

http://www.itpro.co.uk/smartphones/20645/blackberry-confirms-job-cuts-z10-losses-and-consumer-market...

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/blackberry-to-pull-back-from-co... 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/23/us-blackberry-warning-idUSBRE98J0V220130923

http://www.androidauthority.com/blackberry-out-of-consumer-market-271640/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323808204579089361769507936.html

I'm not sure what is going to happen, but once Blackberry stops serving to consumers, I expect people to move away from blackberry, and ofcourse a drop in appsales...

The thing I keep asking myself is: do I have to keep focus om my blackberry apps and provide updates and new versions to blackberry market? Or should I spend my time developing for other platforms that DO seem to last longer than a year...

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

One of the nice things about AIR is that you can bring your app to other platforms will relative ease. One of the main reasons I did not jump to native, is that BB future was uncertain. Great OS, great devices, a new BB from that of the old, but if the consumer does not get it, they wont buy it.

BB was always for professional consumers. No teenager is going to have a BB. They wanted to change that, bu they were just too late to the game. That does not mean after a restructuring and better marketing, they can not still have a market share, but it is going to take some time to get there.

Keep in mind, Apple, MS and Google all have other profitable cost centers to offset any loses that might occur in their mobile division. And a lot of costs are shared across these divisions of these companies. BB will probably do better if they are a part of a larger company in different spaces (eg Samsung or like). A mobile only company that is in a distant 3-4th place in market share, will have an uphill battle.
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

[ Edited ]

If BB is able to remain viable in the enterprise/pro-sumer niche they say they are refocusing on, remember that whatever that new user base is, they are all still human beings, and will still want apps, and perhaps even games for their personal use during downtime.  And if they can get them on a BB10 device, I would guess that they would want them, vs. having to carry around two devices.

It does seem however, like it's time for devs to re-evaluate what types of apps to develop for BB10, especially if they are going for deep system integration.  The prosumer/enterprise user archetypes are going to have some differences vs. general consumer archetypes.

Please use plain text.