Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
MauriceRice
My Device: Developer

OS 2.0.1 encrypted bars or not?

I had to submit a bugfix release and I selected the minimum OS as 2.0.1 because I had heard that it is no longer possible to extract a working bar file from DM backups. I am really sick of seeing my latetest releases offerered for free download in various pirate sites. Can someone confirm that 2.0.1 is just a little bit more secure than its predecessors?

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: OS 2.0.1 encrypted bars or not?

MauriceRice, I can confirm that.  Note, however, that there are still a few people with the knowledge and means to get a rooted 2.0.1 device, or to downgrade their 2.0.1 install to something earlier.  Either mechanism can still be used to extract the app contents from the device and, should they so wish, repackage it as a new .bar file as they have done in the past.

So 2.0.1 is an improvement, and raises the bar for pirates (perhaps preventing some of the more casual piracy) but it's by no means the final word on this. The more interesting apps are still likely to end up on pirate sites, for now.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!