Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

OT: BlackBerry Playbook Will Support Android Apps

[ Edited ]

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20110324/blackberry-playbook-will-support-android-apps/

"RIM will launch two optional “app players” that provide an application run-time environment for BlackBerry Java® apps and Android v2.3 apps. These new app players will allow users to download BlackBerry Java apps and Android apps from BlackBerry App World and run them on their BlackBerry PlayBook."

Here comes that tsunami of competition we were talking about several weeks ago.

Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)

Re: OT: BlackBerry Playbook Will Support Android Apps

[ Edited ]

It's an extra layer so performance will suffer (but then again the PlayBook does have a powerfull dualcore cpu). But they are mainly talking about smartphone apps here (since it's Android 2.3. Also not known is how they are installed: if there is access to the market (unlikely) or if you need to sideload an apk file. Also, how will they implement the various buttons on Android, like Search and Menu?

Our apps still stand out, I think, due to the fact that they were made specifically for the PlayBook and they will be the most easy to handle.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
UberschallSamsara

All good points.  I was getting ahead of myself with the word "tsunami" (not to mention being a bit insensitive vis a vis Japan).  According to Steve Jobs, Android tablet apps numbered about 100 at the time of Apple's iPad2 launch.

We will see if this app sandbox is good enough to make for quick "ports".  Part of the game is to build a brand, and that's easier if you can hit multiple platforms w/out major rewrites.

On thinking about this a bit more, it sounds a bit desperate on RIM's part.  Time will tell.

Contributor
DeekoVB5
My Device: Dev Alpha B

Being a multiplatform developer, I gotta say, I really like this news. It will be a lot easier to port my apps from Android this way.

Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

I agree, and disagree with the above points. RIM needs apps to please comsumers. By allowing developers to submit their already created android apps it gives them a new avenue to sell their apps, all while RIM maintains quality control of what gets allowed. It also exposes developers to the Playbook platform which will definitely bring competition, but competition will only increase the quality of apps.

Besides, these apps are just going to run in an emulator. I don't see that as direct compeition so much as a selling point. Heck, even if the Playbook just becomes "another android tablet", at least we know it will be the best one on the market lol (and one that we're developing for).

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
UberschallSamsara

Speaking of multiplatform:  in other news today are rumors that Motorola is working on an HTML5 based mobile OS.

Contributor
DeekoVB5
My Device: Dev Alpha B

Is it really running in an emulator though? Android apps are just Java - if they built a Dalvik JVM for the PlayBook, and that's what this "app player" is, along with some wrappers for hardware-specific APIs (things like GPS, camera)...then I can't imagine performance being that much worse than on an Android device.

Developer
thesmileman
My Device: Playbook

Its sandboxed (I.e. It doesn't know it's not on an android device and can't access anything the host doesn't allow for it to access). That does not mean it will be slow. It could be as simple as the a function call from android maps directly to a funtion call in qnx. It likely will be more complicated than than but I don't think it will suffer greatly. They can optimize till the cows come home to as they only have one tablet.
Developer
Accoductions
My Device: PlayBook

[ Edited ]

Great, it just became us vs. 200k Android apps.

On the otherhand, I see this as an amazing plus for consumers - a device that can run both BlackBerry and Android applications is a massive selling point.

Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

Accoductions: that's not quite the case. Dev's still have to submit to app world and get approved. And then (from what we can gather) their apps will run in an emulator (or app player as RIM is calling it). And this won't happen until summer from what they're saying.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -