Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

OT: Playbook production in swing, shipments possible late February reported

Interesting article.

http://gcn.com/articles/2011/01/28/blackberry-playbook-in-production.aspx

Hopefully some of us might see an actual device in about a month or so.

Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)

Re: OT: Playbook production in swing, shipments possible late February reported

Interesting article indeed.

I have to admit though, I first thought this was another AppstoreLover thread.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
jtegen

I hesitated in posting it, but I did prepend "OT" to the subject.  Only because there is so many impatient people wanting to get their free PB, and now maybe we have an approximate time when that might occur.  So there was some relavence to this forum.

Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

"I believe that iPad will dominate the tablet space for some time and that is true for the enterprise segment as well," industry analyst Chetan Sharma said. "Xoom is a pretty good Android device and, depending on its pricing, it might do well relative to other Android devices. From what we are hearing about the feature set of PlayBook, it is unlikely to have a major impact in 2011."

Ouch.

I'm actually kind of excited for it. At first I wasn't sure but the portability aspect is very appealing, and I could definitely see it being an excellent secondary screen when I'm at work. Even if it's just for email. I also think it's pretty slick looking.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

"I believe that iPad will dominate the tablet space for some time and that is true for the enterprise segment as well," industry analyst Chetan Sharma said. "Xoom is a pretty good Android device and, depending on its pricing, it might do well relative to other Android devices. From what we are hearing about the feature set of PlayBook, it is unlikely to have a major impact in 2011."

Focusing on the words of any one analyst is doomed to be counter-productive, unless you're looking for an excuse to avoid getting into an area.  If that's the case, read everything until you find one analyst who's negative on the area involved, then point to that as justification for avoiding it.  The old adage about economists and opinions certainly holds true with tech analysts...

Xoom is "pretty good"?  ... and yet nobody has a clue how it will actually feel.  And which aspects of the feature set of PlayBook is he talking about?  Surely not the initial focus on WiFi, as Chetan Sharma has claimed that upwards of 75% of iPad users don't bother with the 3G.  He's certainly right that the iPad will dominate "for some time" (nobody could argue with that) but saying something like that is like shooting ducks in a barrel, for now.

Nobody knows how well the PB will actually do, so the best thing to do right now is to focus on making good apps for it.

(This post not directed at @jffurlan or anyone else, except maybe Mr. Sharma...)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

lol, yeah I definitely agree. I always wonder how anyone has a career where their entire job revolves around speculation. Probably the only job where you can fail miserably and not get fired. If anyone is familiar with Gene Munster they'll know what I'm talking about.

And it's definitely comical to hear a comparison about two literally (as Tim Cook puts it) vaporware tablets - objects that while being very real have had little to no consumer hands on time.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)

[ Edited ]

I agree that the iPad will stay the dominant tablet, but it's position will weaken over time this year. The other conclusions are just assumptions and not even reasonable ones: he cannot know what the Xoom will end up to be and I don't see any flaws in the PlayBook's feature set. 3G is an option I surely won't miss and my wallet won't either. The lack of an emailclient is a disadvantage, but still no major flaw due to the excellent browser they seem to be providing. And I do understand the security concerns they have with a mail and calendar app.

PS Anyone else getting confused with those duplicate avatars lately?

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

OT OT: @zezke: yeah! i thought i was the only one. i even get confused someone use the avatar im using. i assume its one of my posts haha

back on OT: i dislike analysts. a bunch of assumers.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
jtegen

OT/OT. Would be nice to upload custom avatars.

Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

OT/OT: @jtegen: you can use custom avatars. i think if you are of a Super Contributor or Developer Level 1 status, you have access to do so. go to My Settings > Avatars and then you can choose to upload from the web or your computer. i've grown too attached to mine to change it haha

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman