Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
TheDarkIn1978
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Obfuscate your SWF? What's the process flow?

@rhgills - since your post i've been in contact with the author of that python script and plan to contribute a UI for the project as soon as possible. if it works out i'll start a new thread when the program is complete - you could all be beta testers :smileywink:, and of course it will remain free.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Isabella12
My Device: Nokia1100
My Carrier: Nokia1100

Dcomsoft released a new version SWF Protector 4 for Mac I think It's a good protect for swf files.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Be prepared to do a lot of testing. The smallest setting adjustment can make a SWF unusable.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Isabella12

Why?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Obfuscation software modifies the source code to make it less readable. the software provides lots of various settings to allow you to control what and how things get changed (variable names, arguments names, function names, selectable files, etc.). In doing so, some settings and combination of settings prevents some aspects or the look of controls to get messed up. One client of ours insist on using this and I spend a considerable amount of time everything works due to settings. It can be very iterative process too (set, save, convert, deploy, test and repeat). In some instances the SWF looks file and runs fine, then you get a report that something does not work when the un-obfuscated SWF works fine. If you are truely concerned about having your SWF accessible, then do it, but for me, it is just not worth the time and trouble with things magically breaking.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
johnhattan
My Device: Playbook Emulator

If you want a real obfuscator, secureSWF is the one. The DComSoft and Amayata products don't do much to the bytecode other than add some nonsense bytes to function headers that trip up decompilers. So they're generally about one version ahead of the decompilers.

secureSWF does actual obfuscation with variable/function renaming, control flow spaghettification, etc. It's more expensive than the other two, but it works.

I haven't tried to pull a .bar or .swf off a Playbook, but it's a pretty trivial process to pull a .apk off an Android and then extract the .swf. And I can confirm that not very many of 'em are obfuscated, as I could decompile 'em easily.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

We use secureSWF and I agree it is one of the better ones, but I am not a fan of it. But do what you need to do...
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Isabella12

I tested the SWF produced from SWF Protector on 3 popular decompilers and had no luck reverse engineering the files. The protected SWF even crashed 1 of the decompilers. When I opened the SWF in the Flash Player, everything I set up still functioned properly. When testing SWF encryption tools in the past, I’ve found that the encryption breaks my SWF file.

Please use plain text.