Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
chall3ng3r
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Z10 LE
Accepted Solution

Offline version of QNX AIR API Reference

Hello,

I couldn't find offline version of AIR API reference with the Playbook SDK. Only online version is avaiable at http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/airapi/1.0.0/

It would be great if the SDK could also include all the API reference in offline mode or maybe a separate download along with SDK. It will be a lot easier for developers to quickly lookup the API docs.

I'd recommend using Eclipse DocBrowser tool. It's cross platform, and makes a nice standalone bundle. Nokia uses it as well for thier offline API docs.

Best regards,

// chall3ng3r //

--
- Our PlayBook Apps: IdeaPad | EasyCrop | Popcornia
- Free Icon Maker for BlackBerry PlayBook developers | 5900+ icons created and counting
- A Kudo is appreciated if you like my post :smileyhappy:
- My post soveld the problem? Please click Accept as Solution.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: Offline version of QNX AIR API Reference

However, documentation always lags a release.  I would hate to hold up a release because all the APIs have not been checked and updated.  Offline is great if the APIs are stable, but online docs allows updates to occur after the release.  Maybe one day, we can have a stable API fully documented with lots of examples.

Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

hey chall3ng3r,

it has been noted by RIM before that they took it out of the SDK because it is frequently updated and they dont want us to use old material so its best of its online in the following thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Generating-AS-docs-for-Beta-3-SDK...

he also said they are open suggestions that developers have in regards to the ASDocs. also of note you can download the QNX Docs yourself if you use a method described by studiochris in this post:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Generating-AS-docs-for-Beta-3-SDK...

hope that helps. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
chall3ng3r

Thanks John and J.Rab,

Yes, its crutial that the docs are updated as the SDK is still in beta, and new changes are posted for docs almost daily.

As a long time developer, I find it really easy to lookup local API reference than finding it online.

One issue is I lose my bookmarks all the time, and find that exact link for reference is going through search engines.

The second one is, I live in a coutnry where dialup speed is sold on broadband connections. Stability and availability is another thing.

The best option is to have everything on one machine. So, even if there's no internet, one can just go through the docs as easily as possible.

I am going to give that Doc tool a try and see if it could help me out with it.

Best regards,

// chall3ng3r //

--
- Free Icon Maker for BlackBerry PlayBook developers | 5900+ icons created and counting
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

No Internet?  Gasp.

No, really, In understand where you are coming from.  Have you tried a browser that allows offline use?

Developer
chall3ng3r

Not yet, but maybe I will if Doc doesn't work as expected.

// chall3ng3r //

--
Developer
chall3ng3r

Just to update if anyone else is interested in offline API reference.

Use Doc as suggested in above post, it allowed me to download the QNX AIR API reference, and now I can easily go through it whenever I need.

Get it from: http://www.airdoc.be/

Best,

// chall3ng3r //

--