Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
AppStoreLover
My Device: PlayBook

One Major Drawback with PlayBook against the iPad.

[ Edited ]

Hardware, design, profile, processing power are the strong suites of the PlayBook. It really is a huge win. :smileyhappy:

Blackberry seriously let us down with the AIR-based apps though.. I am sure Apple will advertize native apps as a selling point to the iPad.

Why Doesn't Blackberry realize this??? :mansad: We really need a sort of XCode-like-platform-native SDK.

BlackBerry Employee
RBooth
My Device: Not Specified

Re: One Major Drawback with PlayBook against the iPad.

RIM Press Release for SDK

Note:

Extending Adobe AIR applications to use native C++ extensions, providing developers with the ability to write part of their application in the BlackBerry Tablet OS's native code (subject to availability of the upcoming BlackBerry Tablet OS native SDK)

Contributor
Grahamfluet
My Device: Not Specified

Oh, sure.

Count your chickens before they hatch.

Developer
Harry_Dodgson
My Device: Bold 9900

Hi,

(just my opinion)

I always considered writing BlackBerry apps in Java as a win compared to native apps.  It allows RIM to allow anyone to write apps for the smartphones with less security concerns and policing than the other guys.  To write a really malicious app, it has to use privileged code and be signed.  If it is signed it can be traced to the author.

Harry

--------------
Accepted PlayBook Applications: Marmi-doos, BASIC, Run and Hide, SuperClip
Accepted OS4-7 SmartPhone App: KeepLightOn
Developer
VitorJesus
My Device: Storm

Sdks don't sell devices, apps do. I doubt a prospective buyer will pay attention to how the apps are made. In the end, what matters is the end result.
Developer
haimez
My Device: 9650

Agreed VisitorJesus. The power of the AIR SDK lets developers built more complicated and powerful applications more quickly and easily. That's the selling point to RIM and to the users.
Developer
RottenOgre
My Device: PlayBook?

I agree with VisitorJ.

Users do not care one how we get to the end result.

From a developing standpoint I'm happy they're doing things this way. Besides, I'm sure they will add a native SDK at some later date.

Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

yeah according to the webcast today they will be posting java and native sdk's sometime in the coming months... they have not fully developed the other sdks and the air sdk is the farthest one... the air sdk is just a part of what playbook will offer.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
VitorJesus
My Device: Storm

I believe the Tablet OS AIR SDK will be the one behind the most popular apps. With this SDK RIM is taping into a world of Flash developers. Even if it was not like this, just being able to run Flash is beautiful.

Biggest drawback might be battery life and/or price.

Developer
RottenOgre
My Device: PlayBook?

Yup, really expecting this to be a huge hit. Unless there's some serious problem that they release it with, I think this could be a major step up for RIM.

I think battery life won't be an issue; RIM is very good with batteries on their handhelds. Price might be an issue though.