Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Permanent Background Process

Hi,

Is there support for a permanent background process where the process would continue to be active even when the application is manually closed by the user?

If I need to develop an application that constantly needs to read location data for example, or constantly needs to read call logs or data usage, and trigger some action based on some thresholds or some geofence detection, would that be possible without a background process?

Is the Push Service the only way to periodically wake up the application? What if the application needs to monitor voice calls or sms every 10 seconds? Is sending a push message to the Device every 10 seconds efficient?

PS: is monitoring voice calls/sms or reading call logs even possible on BB 10?

Thank you

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Permanent Background Process

Background processes are not possible as well as auto-start functionality. The user has to start the app manually.

You can push. You have to look at the push terms to see if 10 second pings are OK. Seems like it might be a bit of a drain over long periods of time.
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Permanent Background Process

Thanks for the reply