Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
ryantan
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Physical dimension of the PB Screen.

agreed, anyone from the BB team monitoring this board?

cheers,
Ryan
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

TheDarkIn1978 wrote:

169.3PPI?  there was another webinar which mentioned it was 167PPI, and i've read on another page from an Adobe employee that the PlayBook has 170PPI. 

I wouldn't count on any Imperial measurement to be precise here, so 170 is probably just rounding off, and 167 is almost certainly inaccurate. 

The screen specs will be in metric, and 0.15mm seems to be a standard here.  At 25.4mm per inch, that gives you 169.333DPI, though I'd be very surprised if you'll ever see that number in Capabilities.screenDPI, so if you really want something precise you should be hardcoding a table into your app based on some vendor/model identifier, or perhaps allowing your user to enter an override.  Presumably you have some tolerance in mind, if this matters so much to you.  At 170dpi, the error would be only 0.4%... does that really affect your results?

(I also suspect this is exactly the same screen used on the Cisco Cius and the Samsung Galaxy 7" units, as they too have 0.15mm pitch 1024x600 screens.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978
My Device: PlayBook

[ Edited ]

why would you be surprised to see that number returned from Capabilities.screenDPI?  perhaps it wouldn't be so precise, which is what i assume you meant, but polling the Samsung Galaxy Tab for its screenDPI returns 240, instead of 169 or 170.

you're probably right, that hardcoding 169 or 170 is currently the best approach until these devices are in our hands for proper debugging (certainly to be followed by a mass submission of updates for previously accepted applications, lol)

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

TheDarkIn1978 wrote:

why would you be surprised to see that number returned from Capabilities.screenDPI?  perhaps it wouldn't be so precise, which is what i assume you meant

Yes, I meant only that I wouldn't expect them to make it that precise, even though screenDPI is a floating point value.  On the other hand, with the number of engineers there are at RIM, I may be pleasantly surprised...

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Visitor
Spacechimp
My Device: Not Specified

Firstly, allow me to appologize for slightly derailing the thread.

I have a related question. I'm a graphic artist who's exclusively worked on print and screen based applications and I'm making the jump to developing for mobile platforms. I was at the meet the Playbook event and I noticed (as you said earlier) the DPI of the screen was 169.3. I'm curious, does this actually require me to create all my graphics at that DPI, or will 72 DPI graphics suffice.

I assume working at 169.3 is preferable for clarity sake?

Thank you very much in advance and again sorry for the hijack!

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Spacechimp wrote:

... I'm curious, does this actually require me to create all my graphics at that DPI, or will 72 DPI graphics suffice.

I assume working at 169.3 is preferable for clarity sake?

The dot-pitch is only a property of a given physical screen.  What matters is what actual resolution your images are... 1024x600 for a full-screen image.  An image that size will display at 169.3 DPI on the tablet.  A larger one will be squished or cropped and will still display at 169.3 DPI.

If you "work at 72 DPI" on your own monitor, that just means the size of your pixels is much larger there, and the physical dimensions of the image you see on your screen will be larger than it will be on the PlayBook (comparing 1:1 zoom levels anyway).  In fact, I wonder if you can even "work at 169.3 DPI" on your monitor, since its pixels simply aren't that size. 

If your software (maybe specifying that will help someone answer you better) supports some DPI setting, it's faking something... maybe displaying the image scaled on-screen to simulate 169.3 DPI.  That shouldn't (and better not) affect the image's actual resolution when saved.

Please use plain text.