Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
billfoust
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Pirated versions of apps on blackberryrc.com

I found that my playbook app is being distributed for free on blackberryrc.com. I've had only 3 downloads, so if someone at RIM wanted to check into who is doing this, my situation would be a really good place to start. I assume that others have also had their apps copied and posted, so between us, I bet we could isolate this down to a single user.

Also, I would reccomend that everyone with a not-free application send a demand email to info@blackberryrc.com demanding to have apps removed. I highly doubt that it's a site trying to be legitimate, but if so, such a flood of emails should serve as a wake-up call.

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Pirated versions of apps on blackberryrc.com

Bill, have you been able to actually download your app, or any other? There is another thread about this, with the tentative conclusion that the site is merely a bogus way of getting Google Adsense revenue by driving traffic to itself, and that the download links do nothing but redirect you to App World.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Here's the thread: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Pirated-Games-Already-Showing-Up/...

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Just noting that the domain name registrant is listed as "xubiao guo".

I'm going to guess that the site is also violating some terms of use for the App World content which it appears to be copying (i.e. the images etc), but I haven't checked into that.

Please use plain text.
Developer
billfoust
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

I didnt try initially because I'm on a work computer and they forbid downloads of any kind. I did go ahead and try to find a live download link, and it seems it goes right back to AppWorld.  Sorry for the scare then.

Bill
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

It's just a link to App World.
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

I think this might be a non-issue.  Every PlayBook app I've seen on that site just links back to AppWorld.

I guess that BlackBerryRC is simply trying to gain some traffic / ad hits based on frequently searched content.  I'm just not sure if I should be happy or sad that my app isn't listed there ;-) e.g. if this is just more exposure in general it should just be A Good Thing[TM] (credit Martha Stewart)

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Please use plain text.