Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Plans to Open Source BB AIR SDK?

Great...

I'm in the same

"No future updates are scheduled for the BB10 AIR SDK & runtime."

This needs a solution.

We were the first (and for a long time the only) developers on Playbook and ours were the first apps to be available on BB10....

My apps for Playbook: PlayEpub Book Reader with epub and FB2 support, Google Reader, ReaditLater - Net Files Share Explorer Get access to your network shared files- FFSync Sync your Firefox bookmarks and passwords
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

If they open source the skin ANE, then some things can be fixed. The SDK can be reversed and any tightly bound items (e.g. non-AS3 hooks) can be replaced.

The other option is to allow captive runtime so apps can run the latest runtime without assistance from BB.

This is all technically possible, but BB has let so many people go and they are trying to just stay afloat, there is probably not too many resources that could be put on this.

Unless they allow the community to help (under an NDA) to open source the SDK/ANEs so that it can be used on BB and other platforms, there are not too many alternatives for BB development (that are also tightly bound to BB). And yes, WebWorks has potential, but that is another topic.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

What are the major shortcomings on BB10 right now with regards to AIR 3.5??

Sorry I've been out of the loop. On the surface, it doesn't seem too bad, the only major features since then were Rectangular textures and 4k texture support for ATF.

We're looking at bringing our game over... don't need any UI controls, or text input support. But do need good sound network and rendering capabilities. Are those at least solid?

Developer

Yes, those are. AIR is moving forward with performance fixes and alike. It is a little pain to switch your project from 3.5 to 3.9 to have it on the different platforms.

The BB SDK is better then the Adobe mobile SDK in terms of performance and load time. If it was open sources, it could bring the look of BB to other platforms, which people will enjoy and rethink their position of BB.
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

It wouldn't be too much work to just re-create BB10 the component set. We could start with a base component set, and see if the community gets involved.

Most of the components are simple. The complex ones, could easily be redesigned to be simpler. I wonder if the guys over at http://airscene.org/ would be interested?
Highlighted
Developer

Getting ahold of the assets/images used in the tool kit would be a start. Could not locate them in the WebWorks SDK which I thought would be a start.