Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: 9930, PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: PlayBook GPS

blkbryabe wrote:

I read that there is a 4 in 1 chip in the Playbook that includes wifi, bluetooth, fm, and GPS. Question for you though do you need an antenna to enable the GPS function?? Maybe RIM didn't put an antenna inside because they were going to put one in with the 4g model to receive cellular reception. No point in putting one in only for GPS then 4g afterwards...

I wonder if the FM Solution is functional or just there because it was already part of the chip.  From the TI website, it appears this chip has Transmit and Receive capabilities. FM tuner/transmitter? NFC? Speculate!

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

If you check the docs for the WL1283 chip (actually a 7-in-1), you'll see that the GPS antenna is separate from the others, so although your theory is creative, it's not correct in this case.

There is GPS, and they did put antennas in... I'm sure of it. It's just unfinished/bad software for now.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Telus

How can you be so certain that gps will function on the wifi version. Can you tell us that RIM told you specifically about gps after you bought yours?? 

Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: o2 (de)

blkbryabe wrote:

How can you be so certain that gps will function on the wifi version. Can you tell us that RIM told you specifically about gps after you bought yours?? 

Not that this hasn't been previously answered in this thread...

GPS is officially confimed, for example on the official features page, this press release, and by Mike Kirkup via Twitter.

So could you please all stop speculating. GPS is there, but seems to have some software issues right now...

- - -
My approved apps @ App World
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

My app doesn't get GeolocationEvents reliably from AIR...  It initializes just fine, says the device has a working GPS and is not muted, but the GeolocationEvents just never show up (well I did get one).  I wonder if this is QNX to AIR issue.  Anyone try this on one of the other SDK's?    

For reference, my code looks like this:

import flash.sensors.Geolocation;

import flash sensors.Capabilities;

public var geo:Geolocation;

if (Geolocation.IsSupported)

{

// Initialize the GPS sensor

geo = new Geolocation();

// Check to see if it's a PlayBook or the VMware simulator

if (Capabilities.manufacturer.indexOf('VMware') == -1)

{

// Its a real PlayBook and the user has the rights to use the GPS

if (!geo.muted)

{

geo.setRequestUpdateInterval(2000);

// register to receive geolocation events

geo.AddEventListener(GeolocationEvent.UPDATE, geolocationUpdateEventHandler);

}

else

{

// its the simulator, start the simulator driver

}

}

private function geolocationEventHandler( evt:GeolocationEvent) : void

{

// do stuff but it never gets callled.

}

Now one thing that has occurred to me (that I haven't yet had the opportunity to check) is that I'm also using Google Maps and have set the sensor parameter to TRUE there... so perhaps THAT'S highjacking my events.  For now, I suspect that's the likely culprit but hopefully, I'll find it soon. 

Best regards,

Brent

If you found my post helpful, please thank me with a Kudo. Thanks!
Developer
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: ATT

Brent - Your code looks good and should get you the gps location. This is an issue with the QNX os right now though. In the latest simulator the GPS actually does work and it tells you you are at RIM's campus in Waterloo but on the device it is very spotty. You could test on the simulator and know that you will get the events on the device when RIM cleans up and improves the gps reliability.
Like all of my posts
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

I tried the GPS in the Playbook using the Bing Maps software. For the GPS to work, I had to use the Playbook in the tethered mode to the Blackberry phone, and also be outside so that the Playbook was in site of the satellites. It took about three minutes to achieve GPS lock.

I installed a free compass program. It worked very well. When I was waking the compass showed me the direction I was traveling in. Both the map software, and the compass software showed the Lat and Long, and also the altitude above sea level. In the WiFi or Bridge mode, I found the GPS operation will not work properly. But, the mapping software will work as a standard mapping program. 

Because of the size of the screen the Playbook makes for an excellent GPS display. It is also very good for using the mapping feature. 

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook & Storm2
My Carrier: Verizon

I requested info on the gps and got this in reply
Hello Susan Reilly,

I understand you were inquiring about the GPS on your device. As it turns out there is no GPS currently installed on the Playbook, and the only applications you are able to use related to GPS, are the maps applications, because they do not use GPS they use maps.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Olivia
BlackBerry Support Consultant
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

They really ought to fix this, but once again it's completely, absolutely, false information. There is a GPS, and it works, but the software support for it is not yet reliable.

Even her sentence about "apps related to GPS... do not use GPS" shows she's pretty confused.

One of the first things I did with my PlayBook was to run Bing and zoom in on my house. Within 5-10 minutes, it had pinned me as sitting roughly 30 feet away from where I really am, and that's *inside* my house. This is not possible with means other than GPS, and no I do not have a BlackBerry phone.

Ignore the support people for now; they've been given incorrect information.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

I would be interested to know how the Playbook using the BING maps was able to find me within about 30 feet everytime I tried it?  Or was this a coincidence? 

In the advertized spec sheet, there is indication the Playbook has a GPS.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/mar/22/blackberry-playbook-launch-date-price-specs

• 7" 1024x600 WSVGA capacitive LCD touch screen

• 0.9 lbs (425g) and 5.1" x 7.6" x 0.4" (130mm x 194mm x 10mm)

• 1 GHz dual-core processor

• BlackBerry Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing

• MP3, AAC and WMA audio playback

• Support for high resolution video playback (H.264, MPEG4, WMV)

• 1080p HDMI output

• Dual 1080p HD cameras for video conferencing and video capture (3MP front and 5MP rear)

• 1 GB RAM memory

• Up to 64 GB internal storage (16, 32 and 64 GB models)

• GPS, Orientation Sensor (Accelerometer), 6-Axis Motion Sensor (Gyroscope), Digital Compass (Magnetometer)

• Stereo speakers and stereo microphones

• Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n) connectivity

• Bluetooth 2.1+EDR support

There are hundreds of sites that published the same specs about the Playbook...

Thanks!

Jerry G.

Jerry G.